AutoGauge fitting guide?

HarveyGTI

ok so I have done a Search...yep thats right, those who know me, I have actually done one this time and found the following guides or help:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=125510&highlight=autogauge

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119724&highlight=autogauge

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116608

is there anything else I need to know, as I found a thread with a guy who said he was extending the autogauge wiring....is the standard wiring long enough?

basically from what I can gather is:

The Red.. goes to the black/grey on the dimmer light side
The Black is the earth so put that to the brown
The orange gets tucked away
Then attach your boost pipe

where is the best place for the boost line to connect to, as most people I have seen connect it to the DV?

***EDIT*** - There are two guides

1. Says the red cable goes to the black/grey on the dimmer light side. Black is the earth so put that to the brown, and the orange gets tucked away (Moffmeister's guide)

2. Other guide states to connect the red and orange wires together and splice them into the grey and blue wire at the dimmer. Black to brown for earthing (BCM's guide)

now I am really confused as I want to fit the gauge this weekend

HELP PLEASE!!

Last edited by a moderator:

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
oh, and yeh, you'll have to extend the wire from the gauge to the dimmer, just gop to motorworld or halfuds or summit, only thin wire anyway!

get some scotchblocks and some insulating tape, make sure there tight and your fine.

Lewis225

Barney Mad
May 30, 2008
Frome
Sorry guys I'm still struggling. I have 4 wires coming out of my gauge, connecting up to the back of the headlamp dimmer I have taken the black to the brown, the purple and yellow to the second wire from the right(dimming power wire blue n grey I think) and I have light to the needle ONLY, however does dim in line with the dash lights, if I then connect the orange wire up to this power wire also I have power to the whole gauge, & it dims though cant change the colour, only blue that blinks when I press the button, I want red. Please help as what I thought was going to be an easy job is turning into a mare.

Cheers Tim

trialsmaster81

I had red to live, yellow to dimmer, and black as earth

ThackersLCR

Jul 5, 2008
Blackpool
yellow to permanent live; orange to switched i think :)

Thats correct, I have orange and purple to switched live (12v when ignition turned on) and yellow to a permanemnt +12v (so it remembers what colour you had on last and you dont have to stroll through the colours everytime you turn the car on) and the black to -ve. I used the grey wire with the blue tracer on it for the switched live, the larger red wire for the perm (yellow wire on gauge) and brown for the -ve. Hope this helps.

Lewis225

Barney Mad
May 30, 2008
Frome
Cheers, Used Thackers method n all workin perfec,just needed to move the yellow to a different live source.

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Just reading this thread as im currantly fitting my autogauge boost gauge and searching for the correct wiring of the gauge to the car. i have the 4 wires coming out the gauge Yellow, Purple, Black and Orange. i am going to connect these to the wiring connector on the light switch but still unclear on what wires on the connector these go to. I know that the black wire on the gauge goes to the brown on the car and thats all. I dont want to blow fuses and stuff so can someone tell me what colour wire on the gauge goes to what colour wire on the car light swich connector.

Thanks

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Reading more in this i think i just answered my own question??!! Black to brown, join orange and purple together and connect it to grey and blue wire, Yellow to larger red wire. Is this correct??:shrug:

Guessing these are all on the lighting connector. so it should be straight forward. Whats the deal with the vac pipe then??? can it be that hard to route through the bulkhead??:shrug:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members