auto meter temp gage fittment

Jadams

auto meter temp gauge fittment

just got my auto meter smoked series boost gauge and oil temp gauge delivered, however being an amateur I am having difficulties figuring out which of the two wires from the oil sensor (white and black) connect to the sensor input on the back fo the gauge.

Am I right in thinking that one of two wires (black or white) connects to the sensor input on the gauge and the remaining wire (black or white) then connects to the earth input on the back of the gauge, with the igintion (12v) coming from the same source used to illuminate the gauge?

Any help would be appreciated as I am looking at two black dials at the mo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadams

Thanks Andi, all connected up now. Just got to get the sensor plugged in now!

mALLA

Apr 19, 2006
Sussex
if u need some pics of install of sender pm me for the cupra r 225. i just done mine today. actually quite easy once u get the blank plug out (right b*tch).

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
dude at least yours has turned up, i have been waiting for mine since last friday...so 9 days now!!! Grrrrrrrrr

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
No way, how annoying is that, they are not replying to my Emails, and it does state in there advert next day dispach......Well no positive raiting from me...and i take it it is highly likely the same company!!! Constella?? I think the seller is called? Sound familiar???

The big question..was it worth the wait, because they do look sooo good!!!

Andi

Back in Black
Mar 5, 2006
Inverness
Yeah worth the wait but not that company, mine came from Across waters to get here although it says location is United Kingdom.

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
ummm interesting, is annoying thou when you order something and it takes ages to arrive...oh well, good old flea bay!

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
i got a set of 3 of the smoked gauges from an ebay seller for £55 delivered. they were sent from china or somewhere dodgy but were at my door within a week! bargain and great service :)

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
Andi said:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=92115

"The diagram for the oil temp sensor are not quite correct. The sensor i had supplied had 2 wires out not one like it shows.

So as per diagram earth the black wire from the gauge as it shows and also connect it to the black wire from the sensor. And connect the rest as shown"

andi, quick question.

on the instructions for these smoke gauges, the oil temp pic shows wires

a=black - earth
b=green - connect to red on sensor?
c=red - connect to +12v ignition switched with the other red wire?

and as youve said above, earth the black one from the sensor (it doesnt show that on the diagram)

could you confirm those bits in italics please?

Andi

Back in Black
Mar 5, 2006
Inverness
a=black - earth and connect to the black wire on sensor.
b=green - connect to red on sensor ? yes
c=red - connect to +12v ignition switched > only

Think thats how i did it mate. But it has been a few weeks now.

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
ok, i thought as much, thanks.

malla did you remove the inlet manifold for the fitment of the sensor becasue youve got some impressive pics of the blank if not!!??

mALLA

Apr 19, 2006
Sussex
no , all that was removed was the plastic bracket ontop by the oil dipstick and the metal plate under that. u can then gain access to the sender, but i would recommend removing the metal bracket that holds the connectors on, a single 10mm bolt. on the left.

then u can use a alankey. 5mm. but i used a socket rench on the end of the alankey and hit it with hammer. unlesss u have some cool tool to remove it with lots of leverage u will find it difficult. just make sure when u hit it that the key is well seated in the hole not to ground out the 5mm bolt hole. or u will be stuffed. i managed to do it, took about 15 minutes, hard but not to hard taps.

finally gave out just as it was starting to get mullered up.

mALLA

Apr 19, 2006
Sussex
when i say bracket, the carbon plastic thing with lots of pot holes, has two phillips screws in it. then underneath that there is a metal bracket. that requires an alankey 5mm again. two bolts there. which holds the oil stick inplace.

its not easy, but doable. and i did it on my drive. just take ur time. its far easier to disconnect all the connectors in the way and move them out the way best u can.

and dont forget use ptft tape on the thread of the new sender, so u dont get any leakage.

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
i did the same task on my ibiza (1/2 the available space!!) and it was a mare. i took off the inlet manifold in the end becasue the plug got mullered. i got it out in the end by hammering in a torx bit drive and becasue that has more "pressure" points, it came out fine, even though it was mullered!!
hopefully on the leon it wont be so bad, but still, im not looking forward to it! :(

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members