AUS 2024 Leon V upgrade path - folly or smart .....

Michael_LeonV

Jul 8, 2024
Hiya,
Just took delivery of my new 2024 Leon V Tribe Edition. Loving the car, as it's my 1st new car ever !
Magnetic Tech colour looks great with the Copper highlights. Would have loved the VZ's extra power, but budget didn't stretch that far, especially when you add the heated seats !
Tribe edition (in Aus) has the Petrol Blue Leather, Beats audio, side skirts, rear spoiler lip and copper wheel highlights for virtually nix.

As much as I love this car already, there are two areas that need addressing, and for one of them, parts are on their way !

The 'V' model (140kW/320Nm O6Q.A 888evo4 engine) is the base, and has good, but not suitable brakes for the occasional fang around the Adelaide Hills. The VZ (with 180kW) had the 340x30 & 310x22 brake package, whilst the V only got the 306x26 & 272x10 items.

The test drive I did was in the VZ, so not being able to afford the VZ (an extra A$10k), got the V and started the research.

Found a Mk7 Golf R brake package for A$730 delivered and also grabbed new rotors as well in case they were not 100%. They'll get fitted in the next weekend or two when the missus is away !
Reason for going with the brake kit rather than some proper 4 pot conversion kit is the warranty implications. It's standard parts and easily disguised.

The other folly is getting a Tuning Box/Interceptor of some sort to get closer to the 180kW of the VZ. This is turning out harder and more tricky than I thought. Many of the options available are either immediate warranty killing (not keen on that idea), expensive (DTE) or even there is a lack of options for this particular engine variant.

I'm aware of the pitfalls and 'claims' of some of the interceptor boxes, so being cautious and will list the research findings in my next post.

Cheers
Michael

Reactions: Railwayman

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Hiya,
Just took delivery of my new 2024 Leon V Tribe Edition. Loving the car, as it's my 1st new car ever !
Magnetic Tech colour looks great with the Copper highlights. Would have loved the VZ's extra power, but budget didn't stretch that far, especially when you add the heated seats !
Tribe edition (in Aus) has the Petrol Blue Leather, Beats audio, side skirts, rear spoiler lip and copper wheel highlights for virtually nix.

As much as I love this car already, there are two areas that need addressing, and for one of them, parts are on their way !

The 'V' model (140kW/320Nm O6Q.A 888evo4 engine) is the base, and has good, but not suitable brakes for the occasional fang around the Adelaide Hills. The VZ (with 180kW) had the 340x30 & 310x22 brake package, whilst the V only got the 306x26 & 272x10 items.

The test drive I did was in the VZ, so not being able to afford the VZ (an extra A$10k), got the V and started the research.

Found a Mk7 Golf R brake package for A$730 delivered and also grabbed new rotors as well in case they were not 100%. They'll get fitted in the next weekend or two when the missus is away !
Reason for going with the brake kit rather than some proper 4 pot conversion kit is the warranty implications. It's standard parts and easily disguised.

The other folly is getting a Tuning Box/Interceptor of some sort to get closer to the 180kW of the VZ. This is turning out harder and more tricky than I thought. Many of the options available are either immediate warranty killing (not keen on that idea), expensive (DTE) or even there is a lack of options for this particular engine variant.

I'm aware of the pitfalls and 'claims' of some of the interceptor boxes, so being cautious and will list the research findings in my next post.

Cheers
Michael
Good thinking on those brake updates, not sure about those tuning boxes though, not a fan.

Michael_LeonV

Jul 8, 2024
Yeah, the tuning boxes have a mixed reception for sure.
if you want to keep warranty, the only other option is do nothing, which I may still do.
Still do doing research

Michael_LeonV

Jul 8, 2024
Best waiting till out of warranty, then decide.
Yeah, but my inner Yoda keeps saying " Use the power, power is gooooooood", and it's be another 4 years and 50 weeks of waiting .... :confused:

Currently chatting with an Aus DTE agent re their Power Control Module. Being german (and my own background is germanic) know their pedantry and the TUV rules), so value that a bite more than the TDI option, which has similar gain 'claims'.

Still thinking about it, but have the brakes to do 1st. VW Mk7 R Performance brakes arrived as well as new slotted rotors.

Pads have also been ordered !

Reactions: Seastormer

Michael_LeonV

Jul 8, 2024
Brakes :
So, 90% of the parts are here for the brake upgrade (to start on Fri 26th), I'm just waiting on pads to come and also need to grab some brake fluid for the post fitment bleed. Oh, and have some VHT Black paint on the way as well, if the calipers need a new coat of paint.

Did the erWin subscription and downloaded all the relevant manuals, so prepped there, although it should be an easy swap in technical terms, and having done plenty of wrenching on cars previously and Airframe Fitter from RAAF, it should be all good.

Will also be making up some cleaner to get rid of the brake dust on the calipers to keep my hands and garage floor clean !

Chip Tuning :
So, have had a few phone calls, many emails and lots of digging re the options.

Basically, being geographically challenged here in Aus and wanting to keep warranty intact (can't wait another 5 years), have narrowed the options down to 2 suppliers : TDI Tuning or DTE

Interestingly, both are claiming similar figures for increases : TDI are promoting 174kW/384Nm, whilst DTE are promoting 181kW/386Nm. The key for me is the 30 day money back promise, as well as local support. Neither have a supplier in Adelaide, but are great so far at responding to questions and pretty good with the replies. Basically, both theoretically achieve what I want which is the VZ performance level, which was the main goal.

TDI are better for pricing (A$580 vs A$950), but I get more confidence from DTE re the promised TUV recognition/compatibility.

Will get the brakes done 1st but still deciding which one. May be cheeky and get the TDI, try it, return it and then get the DTE ? Dunno yet ..... :unsure:

Reactions: Railwayman

Michael_LeonV

Jul 8, 2024
So some progress on the brakes - got some decent cleaner and gave the capilers a pressure wash to get rid of all the brake dust, grabbed some decent Dot4 fluid and also had to buy a set of the M12 star point tool for the rear caliper bolt.

Pads have yet to be put in the post, but should be done Monday and hopefully they arrive in time. High Temp caliper paint will arrive monday.

Ready to start conversion on Friday !!

Michael_LeonV

Jul 8, 2024
Looks like I'm pushing the proverbial to do the brakes on Friday as planned, as the pads might not come in time :mad:

Searching locally, and I can get some Fronts, but the rears are proving troublesome (they're a special order and not typically in stock) so trying other alternatives.

UPDATE : Pads will now be arriving on Thurs (phew). Have priced genuine parts from VW as a backup.

Last edited:

Michael_LeonV

Jul 8, 2024
So, brakes done !!

Fronts were pretty easy in the end, but some of the odd sizing made it a bit challenging with the toolbox (7mm Allen key for one thing !!!) but got there in the end.
The rears though were painful. The Mk7 Golf R donor package backing plates didn’t fit (the 3 mounting holes were different) so I left them off, and getting the current ones off were a major PITA !! They are fitted ‘under’ the stub axles so required some butchery to remove, and leading to the accidental destruction of the wheel speed sensor.
New part in the way though.
Overall, looks good and works well, but the missing WSS has all sorts of warning lights, so that will be sorted soon

Michael_LeonV

Jul 8, 2024
Also, an update re potential options for Tuning Boxes (ECU flashes not considered yet as too early in the Warranty period).

Narrowed it down to three main options, but will allow the brakes to be enjoyed 1st and have a think. The three are ;

Burger Motorsports JB4 Performance Tune – VW EA888 Gen 4 MK8 GTI – A$875
Data cable + $70 and Bluetooth Connector + $245
+41kW & 74Nm increase (95 RON Fuel)
+48kW & 88Nm increase (98 RON Fuel)
https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/pro...-jb4-performance-tune-vw-ea888-gen-4-mk8-gti/

TDI Tuning – A$579 (w Bluetooth) – Normally A$723
+34kW & 64Nm increase
https://tdi-tuning.com/en-au/car/cu...td4-sent-multi-channel-petrol-tuning-box-chip

DTE Power Control – A$949 (posted)
+41kW & 66Nm increase
No link provided for product, but have been in discussions

All were provided with the VIN and Engine No to confirm what is the right product. Interesting, Burger (JB4) were the only ones to check the # of wires on the TMAP sensor (damn, that was hard to see). It was 3 wire (not 4).

Seems the JB4 is the only one with multiple connectors, and that DTE & TDI are a single connector ?

Based on some other feedback, looks like the JB4 might be the one to go when the funds are there. Any other feedback ?

Michael_LeonV

Jul 8, 2024
As an FYI for anyone that may be impacted or interested.

Have translated the pdf into English if anyone is interested, but can't attach the document as they are too large (had to break into 3 parts for translation and they are 8.8, 9.1 & 6.5MB each)

The above document gives quite a bit of detail on the 140kW/320Nm EA888 evo4 engine (Engine Code DNNA) fitted to the 2024 Leon V

Key thing is it differs from the VZ (180kW)/VZx (221kW) variants by using the Budack cycle, and hence has a 12.2:1 compression ratio vs 9.6 & 9.3:1 for the VZ/VZx variants.

So, as others have suggested, a chip intercept, or even a ECU flash is not really available yet for this engine. So, it'll have to be brake upgrade only at this stage !!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.