Arrghh No Air Con, Cars over heating and Traction warning light came on for no reason

Chris_Weston

Hi guys

Tried to search for this but can't find anything with all three problems together.
On my way to Bournemouth today. On the way i turn the air con on. Revs drop as normal and hear it kick in but!! No cold air coming through the vents only slightly warm air.
Then after about an hours driving the traction control orangey/yellow light came on for no reason and pressing the button didn't turn it off. When i stopped the car turned the ignition off and back on the light went off never to return.
Now the worst part driving in heavy traffic on the way home water temp needle goes through the roof really quickly. Header tank is still full and no obvious leeks. Just been dropped home by recovery truck and left scratching my head. Are they all linked or is it just coincidence?
Any ideas would be gratefully received.:cry::cry:

muttly

Oct 1, 2005
Stamford Nr Peterborough
it could be the slow speed fan fault .. which eventually blows the green fuses on top of the battery and leaves you with no cooling at all..have you checked the fuses?..
the traction control light staying on i would say is the car going into limp mode i would of thought possibly due to the overheating not sure tho

the air con could b linked to the over haeting and teh fuses if they hav gone mayb

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Definitely check the fan fuse on top of the battery as first stop. If you have no coolant loss then the the likelihood is your fans have packed up and this would explain the air con not working too. The fan should run at slow speed even from cold if you put the air con on. Could also be water pump but fans more likely with the air con issue.

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Traction control light could point towards your breaks bneeding changed. Do you still have standard pads fitted or pads with the wear sensor?
Is the cars a LCR?

Chris_Weston

Thanks guys

The car is a 01 Leon Cupra. Brake pads were changed in May all round for the MOT. I have just looked at the green fuses and the one on the left as tou look at them is all melted and looks burnt. It's sounding like the slow speed fan problem. Can this be done at home? Don't think the main stealer will do anything under any kind of warranty cos the car is 6 years old? I feel a big repair bill coming on!

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I seriously doubt it's a brake issue.

Should be a new fuse and holder (if it's melted) even at dealer prices the costs shouldn;t be too much and fitting yourself is pretty easy. All just unbolts off the top of the battery / cover.

If you want to save a few more ££ try a scrap yard

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Or you could get a friendly local mechanic to re-route just the burnt out fuse with its own mini holder like I did. My fans have been fine since, but you still need to be aware that others have had them go again and it could point to the 'fan issue' people talk about. Search for the fan fuse thread and you'll find loads of pics of peoples fuse holders with a burnt out 3rd (fan) fuse exactly like yours.

Chris_Weston

Thanks guys

Went into the garage today. i bit the bullet and have opted for them to replace the whole thing. (Driving to the south of France in two weeks) unfortunately the part is £140 bargain i thought i'll have two! Lucky i worked overtime this week.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise