arm rest compatibility

Giant AC1

just a quick one,would the armrest from the mk4 golf fit the leon? I know they share platforms but are the mount points/brackets similar??:confused:

cheers in advance for any help.:D

Mukkyman

Jul 1, 2007
just a quick one,would the armrest from the mk4 golf fit the leon? I know they share platforms but are the mount points/brackets similar??:confused:

cheers in advance for any help.:D

I did a search and found that a mk 4 arm rest has the same fittings as the leon, fitting looks simple enough. looks like some plastic might need to be cut away not looking forward to that :(

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
I thought it was straight fit! As been looking into this for a while now, and from looking at other threads on the subject of armrests, I think a lot have just put the golf mk4 armrest straight in.

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
haha it does i know what im doing 2moro.going to me grandads and pinching his arm rest.8years they had there golf and i dont think its ever been used.:lol:

pauldredge

Oct 4, 2009
ive got one fitted in my leon i just brought... but like said the plastic bit around the bottom aint there so is just a big metal thing.

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
Yes, was easy enough to do mine. Just cut the coin tray out, removed all the screws for the middle console and lifted it up so i could see the the holes that the armrest needs to bolt to. I had to order an extnded nut from VW and remove the original nut off the left hand side of the handbrake and put the extended nut there. Was just a case of sliding the armrest base in and bolting it down, putting the centre comsole back, pop the armrest on the base and tighten it up underneath with my hand through the rear ashtray.

Before
DSC00338.jpg

After
DSC00471.jpg

s2celly

Mar 15, 2009
slough
Yes, was easy enough to do mine. Just cut the coin tray out, removed all the screws for the middle console and lifted it up so i could see the the holes that the armrest needs to bolt to. I had to order an extnded nut from VW and remove the original nut off the left hand side of the handbrake and put the extended nut there. Was just a case of sliding the armrest base in and bolting it down, putting the centre comsole back, pop the armrest on the base and tighten it up underneath with my hand through the rear ashtray.

Before
DSC00338.jpg

After
DSC00471.jpg

Do you get a slide out cup holder with that :lol:
I miss mine.

dazjstuart

May 18, 2012
Aberdeen
I did a write up for my forthcoming readers ride (one day ill take pics and put it up). Ill summarise it here.

Its pretty simple put theres a couple of fiddly bits and a bit of cutting. Bear in mind that mine was an OEM Golf MKIV one, the retrofit kits you get may be slightly different. Its also worth noting, correct me if I am wrong but I saw in a post here a few weeks back that someone got a Seat OEM one and it had a rectangular lid like the A3 ones rather than rounded front of the Golf ones. So if your worried about that kind of thing an A3/4 one might be better than a Golf one (they are all the same fitting).

As everyone else has said you take out all the console bolts, i didnt bother taking the gear knob and TC fuel flap buttons off as just having the console slack gives you enough room, but by all means remove them and take the console out if you want.

You said you got a kit on fleabay, I assume that comes with all the bolts required? you need an adaptor bolt that screws into where the handbreak is mounted, you then mount the shortest "leg" of the armrest bracket on top of the adaptor. Screwing in the other bolts is a bit fiddly and requires patience and three hands, although again if you have the complete set it may be easier (I got my armrest from the scrap yard, got an adaptor from the stealer and used bolts I had at home). Its pretty obvious where the bolts go, you cant go wrong really just a bit fiddly.

After that you are ready to cut the console. There are two ways to go about this. You can either cut the bottom of the coin tray out, then cut the side bits of the armrest down (the plastic cover with the round bits) so they come down flush with the console. OR you can cut a bigger hole in the console (bottom and sides of the tray) so that the whole thing fits into the hole you have made.

I did it the first way, you will see a cut edge either way but I thought that doing it this way means that if the armrest was ever removed then the console could be repaired easily with one of those kits you get, it is also far cheaper to buy a new side bit for the armrest than it is for a console if you make a mess of cutting it :D! If you do it this way then you will notice there are three clips that hold the sides of the armrest together, you want to cut it just on the bottom clip so that its the right length.

After that put the console back on, bolt the armrest itself onto the bracket and give everything a test fit. If its all good put all the TC buttons and that back in (if you took them out) and bobs your uncle.

Take your time with the cutting and try to do it straight, you can always file rough bits down. If you wanted to you could always go round the hole with some rubber beading afterwards to tidy it up. If you cut it straight and neat it will look fine though.

Enjoy your armrest, without a doubt the best thing I have put on my car!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise