Airtec turbo inlet EA888 also Gen3.b?

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
Hi guys,

i've found a turbo inlet for sale from airtec reduced. Mentions it fits the EA888 engine, would the turbo inlet be the same on the EA888 Gen.3b engine also?

I have contacted them and checked there website but it looks like they only have the Gen4 one now so I can't compare the one listed to fit EA888 Gen.3b engines.

Screenshot 2024-07-23 083457.png

Screenshot 2024-07-23 083438.png

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Both the 190 and the Curpa's EA888 engines use the same part number in the catalogue (5Q0129635T) so It should fit either!

However I would question why? this will absolutely not be a restriction on your engine (you will not see any performance gains) - and you can't see it, so it won't even to make your engine bay look 'nice'!

Reactions: Yoshi

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
Both the 190 and the Curpa's EA888 engines use the same part number in the catalogue (5Q0129635T) so It should fit either!

However I would question why? this will absolutely not be a restriction on your engine (you will not see any performance gains) - and you can't see it, so it won't even to make your engine bay look 'nice'!

Looking at the R600 intake before remapping so thought whilst I'm replacing the intake I may as well do turbo elbow and hoses.

Managed to find a brand-new airtec one for £50 instead of Racinglines £140 one.

Domobaby

Feb 4, 2024
Looking at the R600 intake before remapping so thought whilst I'm replacing the intake I may as well do turbo elbow and hoses.

Managed to find a brand-new airtec one for £50 instead of Racinglines £140 one.
We have the same motor mate

You going for Stage 1?

I had the car a good service first then had it done whilst completely standard

I’m trying to figure out if Stage 2 is easily doable on the EA888 3b

Reactions: Yoshi

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
We have the same motor mate

You going for Stage 1?

I had the car a good service first then had it done whilst completely standard

I’m trying to figure out if Stage 2 is easily doable on the EA888 3b
EA888 3b is a fuel efficiency optimised engine - really mechanically quite different to the standard EA333gen3. The very high compression ratio and the cylinder heads optimised for swirl will really reduce the power potential!
If you want 300 - 500hp just get the Cupra.
Anything more than a simple re-map on the 190tsi will get expensive and complicated!
Same story with the diesels - the EA288 184 is again optimised for efficiently with high swirl heads - great for efficiency/emissions but really limits max air flow/power - so no point trying to tune anything more than a simple re-map.

Changes to the 2.0L EA888 engine. Audi made a number of design changes to the EA888 Gen.3 engine to realize the Gen.3B.

• The Audi valvelift system applied on the intake side.
  • An increase of the compression ratio from ε = 9.6 to ε= 11.7 by decreasing the combustion chamber volume.

Audi engineers lowered the combustion chamber roof by about 0.9 mm, and moved the intake and exhaust valves—slightly reduced in diameter—axially downward. The positions of the spark plug and high-pressure injection valve and the piston shape was adapted to the new combustion chamber.

• Maintaining meaningful charge motion is a significant challenge with reduced intake opening times and valve lifts. EIVC extends the time between tumble-generation and combustion, and thus the time for the dissipation of charge movement. Further, the high compression ratio pistons (with reduced recesses) also negatively impact the development and maintenance of tumble.
    To address this, Audi developed a new intake channel that produces a higher basic level of tumble; added maskings in the lower regions of the intake valves; and optimized the piston cavity.
  • Changes to the cylinder head and basic engine optimizations.

Reactions: TheSwede

Domobaby

Feb 4, 2024
EA888 3b is a fuel efficiency optimised engine - really mechanically quite different to the standard EA333gen3. The very high compression ratio and the cylinder heads optimised for swirl will really reduce the power potential!
If you want 300 - 500hp just get the Cupra.
Anything more than a simple re-map on the 190tsi will get expensive and complicated!
Same story with the diesels - the EA288 184 is again optimised for efficiently with high swirl heads - great for efficiency/emissions but really limits max air flow/power - so no point trying to tune anything more than a simple re-map.

Changes to the 2.0L EA888 engine. Audi made a number of design changes to the EA888 Gen.3 engine to realize the Gen.3B.

• The Audi valvelift system applied on the intake side.
  • An increase of the compression ratio from ε = 9.6 to ε= 11.7 by decreasing the combustion chamber volume.

Audi engineers lowered the combustion chamber roof by about 0.9 mm, and moved the intake and exhaust valves—slightly reduced in diameter—axially downward. The positions of the spark plug and high-pressure injection valve and the piston shape was adapted to the new combustion chamber.

• Maintaining meaningful charge motion is a significant challenge with reduced intake opening times and valve lifts. EIVC extends the time between tumble-generation and combustion, and thus the time for the dissipation of charge movement. Further, the high compression ratio pistons (with reduced recesses) also negatively impact the development and maintenance of tumble.
    To address this, Audi developed a new intake channel that produces a higher basic level of tumble; added maskings in the lower regions of the intake valves; and optimized the piston cavity.
  • Changes to the cylinder head and basic engine optimizations.
Thanks for the detailed response

It certainly is pretty efficient. Had about 55mpg on a Southampton > Manchester drive last week post remap

As suspected the simple Stage 1 remap will have to do, which I have had done and feels great still.

I’ll have to settle for some aesthetic changes now

Reactions: SuperV8

Mo_86

Sep 25, 2023
UK
Thanks for the detailed response

It certainly is pretty efficient. Had about 55mpg on a Southampton > Manchester drive last week post remap

As suspected the simple Stage 1 remap will have to do, which I have had done and feels great still.

I’ll have to settle for some aesthetic changes now
How much power did you get from a stage 1?
Have you had it on a rolling road?

Domobaby

Feb 4, 2024
Awesome GTI dyno had an issue the day I was there. I already had to reschedule once before so I just let them do the map. I trust them

I can book it back in whenever for a before/after dyno run free of charge ofc

Suggested figures are about 240 so expecting around there

Mo_86

Sep 25, 2023
UK
I have the same car dkza engine, I've been quoted from r tech in nuneaton, around 260hp

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
Looking at just stage 1 as I do like the higher MPG for work as well. Also with it being FWD the estimated 260hp will be enough.

Awesome have 20% off software at the minute and 10% off hardware for Racingline. I was looking at the R600 intake first but may as well do it all in one go. ECU map £380 instead of £480 and the same again for the TCU.