Airbags?

Mattyh87

Sideways as always!
May 7, 2006
Manchester
After seeing an article on the internet about people not replacing airbags correctly and just fitting covers with a bit of glue after an accident it got me worried. Also airbag "simulators" can be used to trick the light on the dash. The fact the previous owner let me drive over 100 miles on two tyres one of which was nearly bald on the inside so i couldnt see it and the other one had a slow puncture was also a cause for concern. I could just be being paranoid though :think:

Since the airbags were deployed in the accident, im worried that maybe the actual airbags arent there any more or installed correctly? Any simple way to check? Or have a peak inside? The light does go on then switches off, but ... hmm that could easily be a simualtor.

Last edited:

Rosco906

Aug 17, 2006
Burntisland, Scotland
Taxi for golf_john

Only way to check is to see who did the repair on the car,

If it was through insurance i would imagine they must have been changed

If fixed on the side then well who know's

Mattyh87

Sideways as always!
May 7, 2006
Manchester
The guy bought the car as Category D so economically repairable but the insurance company chose not to.
He said he got them from a breakers yard and then got them fitted? Will take it in somewhere to find out tomorrow i think!

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
the passenger airbag will be fine as the dash would be ripped open if it was a head on! the steering wheel airbag iirc comes as 1 unit and a cover doesnt come seperate! seat airbags rip the stitches so have a close look there just an inspection from some1 who knows will be enough to see :)

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
best way to check is to have a good look around the repair spots that he repaired and look at the quality of his work if its lazy then get it looked at and if its seems like a non rushed job and tlc went into it id relax and get it checked when next at the stealers :shrug:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
The fact the previous owner let me drive over 100 miles on two tyres one of which was nearly bald on the inside so i couldnt see it and the other one had a slow puncture was also a cause for concern.

you should have checked yourself really..... you did just buy it afterall?

Anyway - simulators (lol) resistor will do that no problem

re dash with holes - just buy a new dash, cheap as chips & stick it on with no airbags at all.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
dashboard in the mk4 i wouldnt have thought would be that cheap!
also in the light you can see the outline of the airbag unit

but if you want piece of mind youl have to get a techie to rip all the dash ect apart :shrug:

croakey

i guess its been said already...but crash into something....it might hurt and cost some money...but the answer will be definitive :)

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
oh thats what i thought you meant replace the whole dash! when the beezer airbag goes off it wrecks the dash no way you could bodge it shut without seeing!

more hassle than its worth messing with resistors ect!

Mattyh87

Sideways as always!
May 7, 2006
Manchester
you should have checked yourself really..... you did just buy it afterall?

I agree with you - i maybe was thinking more with my heart then my head when i bought it - and only check thoroughly when back in Manchester over 100 miles later. If you were selling a car to someone who was going to then go on a long journey, would you let them take the risk? Just shows their poor judgement.

I will get it checked - say if i look in between the horn/steering wheel rim then should i see the airbag unit? (will take a photo of what i can see)

Also, the repair work done was a bit stodgy - the paint at the front under closer examination was done cheaply and parts have peeled off after stone chips/power hose. Also when serviced i was told the under tray was not there.

light you can see the outline of the airbag unit
How do you mean?

oh thats what i thought you meant replace the whole dash! when the beezer airbag goes off it wrecks the dash no way you could bodge it shut without seeing!

I think what mork means is that he could have bought the dash without airbags?

If there are no airbags, i still have a receipt/proof he advertised the car as repaired and if he sold the car in such a condition without notification, then he is in breach of the law too. Worth checking, after all it is my life that could be effected, although i think its more likely paranoia :p

Last edited:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I agree with you - i maybe was thinking more with my heart then my head when i bought it - and only check thoroughly when back in Manchester over 100 miles later. If you were selling a car to someone who was going to then go on a long journey, would you let them take the risk? Just shows their poor judgement.
Unfortunately it's a case of buyer beware...

But in the sellers defence, a lot of Mk4s have suffered severe inner tyre wear, and it's quite hard to see - so often goes un-noticed.
Mine wore that badly that the inner edges had holes through the rubber carcass but the rest of the tread visible from outside had 3-4mm left and gave no cause to think the inners would be any worse.
A mate with a Polo (same chassis etc as Mk4 Ibiza) had the same problem and didn't find out until the tyre's reinforcing wires were sticking out on the inner edge :-o

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
on my cupra when sunlight ids on the dash you can see the outline of the airbag unit if there isnt an airbag then this wouldnt be visable i spose! sounds like a shabby job if you ask me lazily leaving bits off cheap respray i wouldnt of touched it with a barge pole imo!

Mattyh87

Sideways as always!
May 7, 2006
Manchester
Unfortunately i only noticed the cheap spray on the front bumper when cleaning the car and the undertray when getting my car serviced!

Unfortunately it's a case of buyer beware...

I know that, but the morality behind it speaks volumes.

EDIT - i think its probably me being paranoid though. Although - wouldnt it be easier to check the Seat belt pretensioners?

Last edited:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
pretensioners would make the seat belts SOLID and wouldnt beable to move them a mm! the buckle stalks are solid and not pretesioned! and airbag light wouldnt go off without replacing them anyway!

get the aa inspector to do the 1 over then it will rest your mind!