• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

advice bleeding brakes

1.9...stefan

HYBRID???
Aug 21, 2008
grimsby
right im looking for a bit of advice... il explain the story briefly as it is fairly long....

friday took my rear axle off to change the rear bushes, clamped rear flexi hoses both sides. saturday fitted bushes into axle and re-fitted back axle, before refitting the axle had noticed thaton clamp had "fallen" off and all brake fluid had drained, removed other clamp as realised air would be all the way in the system now so it wouldnt matter, mistake??.... connected all the brakes pipes up etc and then cam to bleed the system.... used an ezzibleed kit and started bleeding. thought id bleed the brakes up, come to test, nothing.

to cut a very long 2 days of storys out i took the car to bush tyres to bleed the system up, n/s/r brake pipe that screws into caliper, had split, i dint check this just took there word, orded a new 1 and they fitted it, then they tell me o/s/r brake pipe is missing a washer where it bolts into the caliper thus was leaking, managed to get a new washer and gave it them to fit.... then told me they didnt have enough time to bleed the system so attempted myself once again.... still no joy.... managed to get brakes but it was right at the bottom of the pedal.... came back to them this morning were they pressure bleed the system.... was there about an hour for them to tell me they cant do it.... theyve tried all they no but no joy.... its better than it was before they did this but still very spongey and fairly near the bottom of the pedal... so then had to drive the car home like this....
now im going to attempt to bleed it myself again tommorow and possibly leave the bleed nipples open for and hour or two to try and get everybit of air out,

basically its fairly strange but it would have got a lot of air into the system,,, just wondering if anyone has any advice, tips, experience or ideas of what it could be. even anyone who can explain the braking system a little bit more into detail so i can try to understand

cheers and much appriecated for reading

J0N

Defected!
All I can say is make sure you're following the correct procedure, bleed the brakes in the correct order, be on level ground etc. Make sure you're only using the correct, brand new brake fluid. Those eezibleed systems are good but be careful not to exceed the recommended pressure and they go through brake fluid very quickly so make sure you have plenty to hand, if the bottle runs out you just blast air back into the system.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
the master cyl seal rolls over only when you use the pump pedal method to bleed brakes....

did you bleed all of the calipers, not just the one you disconnected?

1.9...stefan

HYBRID???
Aug 21, 2008
grimsby
right thanks for the advice,,, attempted it myself again today on a ramp,, after all the problems that bush's had it was the second bleed niple on the master cyclinder hadnt been bleed..... so simple.... i may right a letter of complain as you would of expected this to be obvious with a fully qualified mechanic... (and they still charged me for basically nothing)

cheers again