aarrrgggghhhhh! breakdown!

badad

random chants
Apr 11, 2005
wolverhampton
car wont start, had a breakdown guy take a look says it a problem between the energizer and the starter motor, motor cranks fine when hardwired to the battery, the car will also bump start, just nothing when i turn the key!( i get ignition lights, but it wont turn over) any ideas to save me shelling out money i dont have to a stealer??

sorry guys it a 1.6 sport on an x plate!

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Coil failure at a guess, I'm no expert so it might not be.

But its a familier issue on Ibiza's. 8v 16v Mk2's often had coil fails and it stopped them starting. This isn't the same as the well documented coil pack failures on 1.8T's however.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Like i say no expert on this. But ive seen it before where an Ibiza failed to start, changed the coil and it would fire. But could well be something else.

Had an alternator fail on my old Mk2 GTi too. Some do tend to have flakey electrics.

davidol

New ghetto whip :)
Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
ignition switch, i bet my life on it, bitch of a job too apprantely, maybe just be faulty like mine was before i had it done, remove the fuse cover underneath the steering wheel and push on the back of the switch whilst trying to start it, cured it for a while on mine but irritated me after a while so i had it changed

badad

random chants
Apr 11, 2005
wolverhampton
i did dad! i think, pushed on where all the wires come out of the back of the lock barrel! is this right?

didnt solve it, just made the handbrake light flash!

chris999

mine was intermittent when the batterywas fooked somedays it would start then others it wouldn't until eventually it wouldn't start at all. buy a battery keep the reseat try it, if it works keep it or take it back and say it wasn't the right one and get a refund. then you can rule it out.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members