• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

29500 miles and brakes discs worn out

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
lol so who says you cant cane a tdi..
pleased to find replacement discs cost £27 each..cheaper than the pads...so..swapped...now bedding in the new discs and pads...:)

Triple D

You wanna try stamping on the middle pedal at 140+mph, that'll fook the brakes really quickly lol

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
The FR/Cupra TDi has smaller discs than the 20vt cupra so you do need to stand a bit harder on the pedal but I have never been let down by the brakes...
My petrol Cupra also had new discs fitted but at around 42k so I have obviously had to use my smaller ones harder

prc

Sooty Meister
mark sheerin said:
The FR/Cupra TDi has smaller discs than the 20vt cupra so you do need to stand a bit harder on the pedal but I have never been let down by the brakes...
My petrol Cupra also had new discs fitted but at around 42k so I have obviously had to use my smaller ones harder

Upgrade to them if you can!
Since you need to swap discs anyway. The extra cost being the new carriers (for 312mm) and the price difference on the discs.

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
prc said:
Upgrade to them if you can!
Since you need to swap discs anyway. The extra cost being the new carriers (for 312mm) and the price difference on the discs.

What we talking?

Apr 2, 2004
Manchester
IIRC I paid £60 each for brand new carriers - you need two. Think they are supposed to be £90ish each new, although my sis worked at VW so I got them along with the pads and discs - discount, although next time I'll probably use Ferodo DS pads.

My fronts lasted til 30k miles too. Rears are being changed on Thursday, they've managed 46k miles, although the calipers are getting very close to the discs, infact I think they are touching the disc edge where the pad hasnt worn it down :D

Last edited:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
mark sheerin said:
pleased to find replacement discs cost £27 each..cheaper than the pads...so..swapped...now bedding in the new discs and pads...:)
Crikey....my fronts lasted to 50k !

nomad

£5 & I'll feck off !
Nov 29, 2003
In the Jockey 24/7
Visit site
mark sheerin said:

56K on mine Mark,.. but they're disappearing fast now I've moved to MK !! Sh1t meself Sunday morning when out for a play and they faded completely !!:cartman:

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
nomad said:
56K on mine Mark,.. but they're disappearing fast now I've moved to MK !! Sh1t meself Sunday morning when out for a play and they faded completely !!:cartman:

yeah they do that specially after a spin round the hilly twisty dales where I live about 15mins maximum pasty before brake loss precludes slowing down....

but my old 20vt cupra did just the same after 15mins..one car I had a merc used to lose so much braking you couldnt even stop it at walking pace after a good blast..least my SEAT aint that bad

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
mark sheerin said:
one car I had a merc used to lose so much braking you couldnt even stop it at walking pace after a good blast..least my SEAT aint that bad
LOL, I had a Mk1 Golf like that, would still just coast to a stop even when standing on the brake pedal. But it did only have ~230mm unventilated discs at the front and drums at the rear, and being a penniless student at the time it had the cheapest pads I could buy :(

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.