20VT getting slower?

RogerW

Viking
Feb 26, 2005
Norway
Hi. I got my car remapped six months ago and it was then doing 80-120 km/h in 4. and 6. gear in 4.5 sec and 7.2 sec. Haven't noticed any changes over these few months, but when I tried this again this weekend I was suprised to see that it took me 5.1 sec and 8.2 sec. The only thing I have done with the car since then is changing to a Forge resirc. valve. I noticed that it took an hour or so to adjust after changing it, the car was hesitating a bit at full throttle especially in 4-5-6 gear. What could this be? The car feels fine and has had a service and change og airfilter in august... :shrug:

flashbsd

yes as bill says, do a reset and throttle body alignment

RogerW

Viking
Feb 26, 2005
Norway
Ok, thanks. I've had a search and found two different ways to do this (I think):

1: Open bonnet, open drivers side door, turn ignition on fully (do not Start), listen for beep noise under bonnet, after about 1 min it will stop. Close bonnet, get in car, close door, start car, wait 20sec then drive off. Job done

2:Reset the ECU (adaption) - this will make a difference.

The car must have a cold engine i.e have been standing for a while (say first thing in the moring or late at night after it's cooled)

Take of the positive battery connection (single 10mm bolt is loosened and clip raised - jam an insulator in there to keep it away form the terminal) leave for 5 mins or so or cup of tea time .

Replace connection.

Next bit is important (you may want to practice this once before anything is disconnected). Put they key in and switch it to the ignition setting which does not turn the car over, but activates the auxillary electronics - fan etc. Leave it like this for 3-4 mins. This is a trottle adaption process.

OK. go drive. You should notice a difference.

Are these things the same, or is the best way to disconnect the battery... (2)

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
As far as I know:
(1) will just do an adaptation on the throttle body. Some debate as to whether this works or not, but it seems to make a difference in my experience. Also I don't think opening the bonnet changes anything, it's just you can't hear the whistling noise with bonnet down :)
(2) will reset all ECU adaptation channels, and includes (1)

andycupra

status subject to change
i was wondering about this the other day.
so would i be correct to think that if you spank the car alot it was basiacally go a bit safer and slower.

so if you were to drive the car gently for some time would it be quicker when you do put your foot down?

crazy-steff

i was wondering about this the other day.
so would i be correct to think that if you spank the car alot it was basiacally go a bit safer and slower.

so if you were to drive the car gently for some time would it be quicker when you do put your foot down?

is this true?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.