• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

2016 Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8 (6J, 6P) - Shock Absorber

duckpond85

May 12, 2022
Ireland
car went for a service and they noted front left shock is leaking, which wasn't a surprise as I was hearing a creaking noise when going over low gradient bumps at low speed

believe its recommended to replace both front shocks and top mounts, however I'm not sure what to get as the cupra comes with a sport button which is meant to change up the suspension from comfort to sporty, so i think its got some form of electronic feature to do this.

auto-doc is showing bilsteins which state for vehicles without electronic suspension control

or this one which is three times the price but states its for sports suspension

looking for some help to figure out which one to get, dont want to get the wrong one and then have a fault show up

duckpond85

May 12, 2022
Ireland
So I got the shock above which was for without electronic suspension control and its been fitted, but as slightly expected; it is showing now damper error on the dash.

The 2016 Cupra 1.8 has a sports button, when pressed it gives a fake sound to increase engine sound, changes steering control but also stiffens suspension.

I got the part number off the original shocks that were taken out, unfortunately having some trouble finding an exact match to replace with..

Original Seat Shock P/N: 6C0 413 031 CH

duckpond85

May 12, 2022
Ireland
So ill keep inputting info, might help somebody else in the future as there seems to be zero information available about the 1.8 Ibiza Cupra Shocks

Original OEM Front Shock Absorber: 6C0 413 031 CH
Superseded OEM Front Shock Absorber: 6C0 413 031 CQ

Haven't been able to find a third party shock absorber yet, if it does not have the DCC cable connection, it will cause a Fault Damper, which cannot be removed by OBD, however there are deletion kits which are very expensive

Jul 25, 2024
Hi, I’ve also just found out my front passenger side shock absorber is knackered and need a new one but have been told it’s a dealer only part and will cost upwards of £400.
Would I be able to buy that £150 Bilstein one linked above and it will fit fine with no errors?

duckpond85

May 12, 2022
Ireland
You tell me my friend haha, I've fitted two fronts that give damper error.

Do you have an ibiza cupra?

Is your dealer fitting one or two for 400? Believe they need to be done in pairs ideally.

Did they confirm part number?

Jul 25, 2024
Both in the same boat then haha. Yeah got a 2016 1.8 Ibiza cupra.
I’m not sure, I’m going to pick it up from my local garage in a bit after its diagnosis and will ask them if I need to both or just the one that’s gone.

duckpond85

May 12, 2022
Ireland
alright do let me know as i do plan on getting shocks that have the DCC cable to sort it, however i dont want to buy the OEM part if at all possible

i do think its recommended to replace both axel shocks if one goes, as likely uneven wear on tyres if only one is replaced

do keep me posted

Jul 25, 2024
Yeah I probably plan to buy the second Bilstein shocks linked as they have the DCC cable I believe and might as well get an upgrade on the OEM ones while I’m at it, especially if they’re cheaper than what the dealers are quoting for the stock shocks.

duckpond85

May 12, 2022
Ireland
The DCC cable is connected to the car, it plugs into the top of the shock

This one says its for sports suspension but I just don't know for sure if it allows the DCC cable to plug into it. Have you found some information to suggest it does?

Either way if you go for it, would you update me on how it goes? Would really appreciate it, lastly if you order from auto doc, could take two weeks for delivery

Jul 25, 2024
The DCC cable is connected to the car, it plugs into the top of the shock

This one says its for sports suspension but I just don't know for sure if it allows the DCC cable to plug into it. Have you found some information to suggest it does?

Either way if you go for it, would you update me on how it goes? Would really appreciate it, lastly if you order from auto doc, could take two weeks for delivery
Hi mate,
Recently got the Bilstein B8 35-168577 front shock absorbers fitted to my cupra at a local garage and all went smoothly. Cost around £200 labour for the garage to fit the shocks plus the original cost of the shocks from the official bilstein website.
The squeaking noise has completely gone and overall the car feels better to drive so very pleased with that. Also, the expected “Damper: Fault” warning light isn’t as prevalent as originally expected. It’s just an orange warning triangle at the bottom of the dash rather than a constant orange damper light in the middle of the dials where the warning lights usually are.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.