1.6 TDI notchy gear changing

Apr 30, 2021
So my car always had this notchy gear changing from 1st to 2nd gear where you can't smoothly switch between as you can from 3rd to 4th for example. I have another ibiza which does the same thing, actually little bit worse and the car is newer. And judging by the internet it is very common on tdi's.

But the other notchy feeling apart from the "standard" one I have is when changing at high rpm's when accelerating hard, this happens from 1st to 2nd and to 3rd but not always. It's hard to explain but it feels springy like there is a resistance in the middle way to the other gear and then it let's go, similar to pushing a rope with something in the end and it gets stuck in the corner as you're pushing and then it gets free and you continue to push the rope. weird explanation i know.

First I read about it could be clutch drag but I did some tests like putting clutch in and revving to the limit and the car doesn't move so I guess it's not that.

It used to happen only in high rpm and acceleration as I said and since I don't drive like that everytime I didn't bother too much but it got me really worried yesterday as I was driving normally and changing gears at 2000-2500rpm it was happening in every gear many times in a row I thought something was going to break and left me stranded by the side of the road.

Then it stopped doing it for some time but kept happening once or so when it wanted.

Any clues what it might be?

I changed the gear oil last year, clutch is not slipping and gears are not grinding but I have a vibrating noise when I let go of the clutch, they say it could be the release bearing that is broken, in fact when I bought the car 6 years ago I talked about it to the dealer and surprise they said it was normal and couldn't do anything about it.

Could it be the release bearing finally giving it's life ? If I'm sitting still and go through all the gears it's all smooth only happens when driving.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.