1.4 (140/150) vs 1.8 (180) Manual Gearbox

Aug 22, 2024
Hi everyone, I am weighing up whether to get the 1.4 TSI ACT engine vs the 1.8 TSI. I have read many other forum posts and have a good understanding of the differences between the two engines and other things that were changed like the brakes and suspension for the 1.8.

One thing I cannot seem to find any info on is the manual gearbox. Do these use the same manual gearboxes or is the 1.8 more robust? I am specifically asking because I am keen to do a stage 1 remap but have heard that the gearbox is the weak link but not sure if that only applies to the DSGs or the manuals too?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
They both use the same MQ250 type gearbox - but different part numbers so i'm sure there are internal differences - probably different gearing.
They have different clutch part numbers, 1.8 is 228mm LUK - 1.4 can be either 220mm LUK or 228mm SACHS.
Looking at REVO example below they quote slightly higher power & torque for the 1.8.

The 1.8 also uses an aluminum front knuckle vs cast iron, and the multi link rear axle - but is heavier and will be less efficient/worse MPG.

1724318826193.png

Reactions: Mr Pig and Ziemniok

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I’m going to give you fairly controversial opinion.

We’ve had four Leons, including a 300 Cupra, and a Mk7 Golf GTD. Daughter has a Toledo, sons have Ibizas, father in law has an Ateca and I’ve driven other Leon and Ibizas too. Manual, automatic. Out of everything my pick, 1.4 act 150 Leon FR manual. Hang on, over a Cupra?? Yip.

So forgetting about the other engines and sticking to your question, there are two relevant points. Number one is weight. The 1.8 engine is the same block as the 2.0 with more ancillary components, bigger brakes etc the nose of the car is heavier, and you feel it. Same with the 2.0 diesel. With 19” wheels you still get sharp turn-in but you can feel that extra weight both wanting to run wider and unsettle the car in corners. The 1.4 is lighter and has a sharper, more direct feel which makes corners more enjoyable. And in the 1.8 you’re suffering that extra weight for a negligible extra power. And I typically get close to 50mpg from the 1.4 without trying. It’s a sweet engine.

The second thing is the really controversial one. The independent rear suspension is not better than the beam, it’s just different. Yes, on a race track the former might be a little faster, although to be honest I doubt it, and it is more playful. You can alter the balance of the car mid corner with the throttle in a way that you can’t with the beam suspension but the simpler setup has advantages. Feedback is better, it’s more predictable and rolls less. The back end just feels planted at all times. If things are going to get out of shape, it’s going to be at the front. While ultimately less entertaining it’s certainly safer and for me it makes the car more enjoyable to drive and easier to drive quickly because you’re more confident about what the car is going to do. In a straight line the Cupra was a beast but the vast majority of the time you’re unable to take advantage of that power. The 1.4 FR feels more connected to the road, lighter, more agile and more predictable in the turns so it’s more fun.

I’d quite like to change my 1.4 FR as it’s getting on a bit but I’m honestly struggling to come up with something I think I might like more. The car is such a great balance of compromises and attributes it’s hard act to follow.

One caveat, tyre are critical. The wrong ones and the suspension feels poorly set up. It isn’t. Michelin PS4s are very good but my pick is the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 (now 6). Not too harsh but great grip and decent feedback. Nice tyre.

So would pick the 1.4 over the 1.8? Yes. I chose it over a Cupra.