Split intake pipe

JRB

May 29, 2004
Kent
Has any one ever had an intake pipe split?

I was driving home from work quite happily when i realized it wasn't pulling quite right ,and a quick look at the boost gauge confirmed this it was only pulling 5 psi . After a look under the bonnet i discovered that the intake pipe from the air filter to the turbo was split from say 2 to 10 (if it was a clock face)at the turbo. Dont know if this is a common problem as mines only done 4000 miles, but as normal the dealer dont have one and its on back order so god only knows when i will get a new one.:cry:

Do you reckon its worth just replacing it with a samco one instead?

NeilC

Has left the fold...
Mar 23, 2004
somewhere else
If your gonna get it remapped possibly. Theres a video of std tip pipes collapsing under the load on the forge website, but i cant see it being an everyday occurance. Think i'd get a new one of the dealer tho so you can sell the aftermarket one seperate to the car. It's about £99 i think.
Fitting mine made the car feel a bit smoother but it may have been my imagination.

LCR64

I m just the cook.
Mar 24, 2006
Split pipe

The dealers say its not a common problem but I ve gone through 2 brand new turbo pipes and the car has only done 2800 miles from new.
The second one went only 7-10 days after it was fitted and I was told it was because the car was REVO d, the slight flaw in their argument was that the car is totally standard as supplied by them!
Strangely another LCR was booked in after mine and the owner had complained of loss of boost and a whistle that had turned into a whoosh. If its reached the stage you can hear a whoosh, the pipe has completely torn off where its fitted to the turbo and your sucking in unfiltered air.
A call to HQ and apparently when the pipe is fitted the clip holding it to the turbo must be totally even where it clamps down on the pipe otherwise a certain batch of pipes are prone to split.
I m an old hand now and when the pipe is fitted correctly the noise from the turbo is almost none existant. As soon as you hear a hiss or a whistle developing and limp mode kicking in, get under the car and whip the undertray off and check the pipe. You can feel round the pipe from the engine bay but unless its more or less shot its a tight spot and difficult to tell.
The dealer can usually get the pipes the next day and the job only takes an hour or less. Getting a loan car out of them for the morning is a little harder, unless you want to wait a week!

JRB

May 29, 2004
Kent
I've taken it off and carried out a temporary repair but it's apparantly on back order , so i'm in there hands ands it's been nearly a week now . At least i managed to talk them into taking my diagnosis of the fault and they are sending me the part rather than having to have some little gimp touch my car.

JonnyTurbo

Which pipe is the air intake?

Daft question I know, but my LC is very asthmatic at the moment. I looked under the bonnet and found a pipe had come loose. But it won't re-attach - there seems to be some plastic clips that hold it in place but they've broken.

Can't seem to find an engine picture anywhere so here goes...
The air filter (OEM kit) has two pipes on the left hand side, the top one is rubber and goes off to the DV.
The bottom one is a plastic thing and comes down to the front of the engine. I have no idea what is does, but this is the one that's come loose. I assume it's this thats causing the wheezing, as it has a rubber ring, that without the clips, it isn't making a tight seal.

Anyone know what this pipe is/does? Suggestions on replacements?

JonnyTurbo

Oil breather? What's that do then?

As for not making a difference, the wheezing noise is bleeding annoying and doesn't sound right at all. And I'm sure it's down on power.

DomJolly

Jan 21, 2003
That's the crank breather hose, which connects to the airbox. Not sure if air goes in or out of it, but it's filtered for a reason. Won't affect power though, but there is one thing you must beware of...

your airbox has a hole in it without the hose being plugged in. Therefore, you are drawing air from a hole after the panel filter which is not filtered. As the filter will provide some resistance when the engine is drawing air from the box, the relatively small hole may be providing quite a bit of air, and it's not gonna be as clean as it needs to be. The hose clamps on by squeezing the sides of the ring. If you look at the airbox hole from the left of your bay, accross the engine so you are facing the passenger side, the hose must be at 3oclock to the box to fit on. Get it fitted pronto!

JonnyTurbo

Thanks for that.

The hose is fitted, just not as well as it should, cos the hose has some stupid plastic clips that are broken, and it's not a suitable type of connection to put a butterfly clip on.
I assume that it's meant to be a tight seal, but as it's no, it's sucking/blowing air and making the wheezy noise.

JRB

May 29, 2004
Kent
Pipe turned up yesterday and was immediatly fitted , and i can't beleive the power difference , the throttle pick up is now superb it's like driving a different car. Makes me wonder if it was splitting from day one?

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
DomJolly said:
That's the crank breather hose, which connects to the airbox. Not sure if air goes in or out of it, but it's filtered for a reason. Won't affect power though, but there is one thing you must beware of...

your airbox has a hole in it without the hose being plugged in. Therefore, you are drawing air from a hole after the panel filter which is not filtered. As the filter will provide some resistance when the engine is drawing air from the box, the relatively small hole may be providing quite a bit of air, and it's not gonna be as clean as it needs to be. The hose clamps on by squeezing the sides of the ring. If you look at the airbox hole from the left of your bay, accross the engine so you are facing the passenger side, the hose must be at 3oclock to the box to fit on. Get it fitted pronto!

no its not, its the supply to the secondary air pump, which drives the EGR system.

Not vital that its a tight seal but as good as possible to stop any crap getting sucked though into the pump