Installing LED footwells (A sort of guide)

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Afternoon chaps and Chapesses,

When I Ordered my LED interior light upgrade for my Leon I also purchased 2 red LED strips for the footwells for some nice red action when I turned the headlights on they would also turn on...

This is what I did... I'm not saying it's the right way lol but it works :D

Also many thanks to robthebubble for his wiring help :)

Tools and parts...

LED Strips x2
Scotch locks (these are a must in my opinion)
Cable crimpers (I have a set for making network cables for work)
Pliers (to squash the scotch locks... saves my pretty hands)
Electrical Tape
Audio cable (if you need to extend the cable to the passenger side, needs to be red and black casings for ease)
Something to keep wires where you want them... I used cable tidies with a sticky back

First off this guide is only to set up the footwell lights to come on when the lights are turned on (side or main) I didn't fancy having to go up to the interior lights just to have them on when I leave the car...

Firstly you will need to push out the headlight switch located bottom right of your steering wheel, now this takes some persuading to get out so just bare with it, I find the best way is to remove the bit of plastic covering the OBD port and reach up and push the sucker out! from what I could see it is held in by a clip which I shall no point out so you know an easier way of getting it out...
IMAG0680.jpeg

IMAG0680.jpg

If you release this clip and push out the left hand side you will notice that the switch itself does not come out with the plastic and this is normal! now just keep maneuvering it till it unclips at the right side and pops out...

Now if you want you can unclip the wires from the module or not what ever you fancy... Next you will need to peel back some of the tape covering the wires so you can get good access to it.

Next you need to get the LED strip for the drivers side and split the cables a little bit to give you some room to add the scotch locks, we will need to add the red cable from the strip to the grey cable in the module and the black cable to the brown, when using scotch locks be aware that it does not always pierce the plastic and expose the wire so if it does not work please check this before screaming and cursing (thanks robthebubble) and it's sometimes needed to clamp the locks with the pliers to make sure its closed...
IMAG0670.jpeg

IMAG0670.jpg

Once the scotch lock is in on both wires you can now insert the key and turn on your lights the strip should light up... Yay! if it didn't then check the scotch lock to make sure everything is connected correctly...

Next for the passenger side, grab the 2nd strip and cut away about a cm of the plastic case and then do the same on one end of the spare audio cable for both side (red and black) now the best way I have found to thread this cable is from the drivers side to the left of the footrest as below
IMAG0676.jpeg

IMAG0676.jpg

When i pushed the cable through it just was waiting on the other side under the plastic trim to the upper right of the passenger footwell... pulling this through and then hiding the cable on the drivers side using the cable tidies this is just to keep them out of site. Now you need to connect the extension cable to the led strip you just put in to save you going off the headlight switch again so same again red to red and black to black
IMAG0675.jpeg

IMAG0675.jpg

Once this is done you need to join the led strip on the passenger side to the speaker cable we just threaded through... join the copper together by twisting them and then put some electrical tape over the top to sweeten the deal...
IMAG0678.jpeg

IMAG0678.jpg

now turn on your ignition again and try out the lights... if they work Yay!! if not then go back and check all connections in the scotch lock and when you joined the cable to the strip... make sure you have red to red and black to black on the passenger side strip...

Now you can stick the LED strips to the top of the footwell where you fancy and push through any excess cable back into the console where you threaded it before...

Finish product (yes I waited till dark to finish this off lol)

Lights on...
IMAG0684.jpeg

IMAG0684.jpg

I think it looks amazing, but then I am slightly bias lol

Hope this helps people out

Cheers

Attachments

• IMAG0671.jpeg
    IMAG0671.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMAG0674.jpeg
    IMAG0674.jpeg
    487.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMAG0677.jpeg
    IMAG0677.jpeg
    610.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Still think its like a brothel on wheels

You said you would support me with this new business adventure lol you have your opinion... It's wrong but you can have it haha

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Joshkcupra

Local Retard
Aug 21, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
Just identifying which wires you've split with the scotchlocks, and wiring the passenger side, does it feed into the same wires as the drivers side footwell??

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Just identifying which wires you've split with the scotchlocks, and wiring the passenger side, does it feed into the same wires as the drivers side footwell??

Ok so when you have pushed out the headlight switch you have the set of cables going into the plastic bit you removed...

You need the brown wire from the car to be linked with the black cable of the led strip then you will need to link the grey cable with the red cable on the led strip, this will set the drivers side led strip working :)

The passenger side one is as follows...

I didn't want to add another 2 scotch locks into the headlight switch so i went from the led srip in the drivers side just abit further down so I have some room... So the drivers side strip comes off the headlight switch and the passenger side one comes off the drivers side led strip cables not the headlight switch...

Does that make sense? for the passenger one it's then a simple case of just scotch locking the 2 black cables and the two red ones...

hope that helps, if not I may be able to get some better pictures for you...

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Oooo I like that actually. Good effort.

Do you have a link to the LED Strips you bought? :)

Well there isn't a direct link as their site is being re done at the minute so Dave the guy at Partsulike said order these and then email him to send out the red ones...

Good service :)

Joshkcupra

Local Retard
Aug 21, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
I think I understand the drivers side, the red going to the grey is the positive, and the black to brown is the negative... If you could take a picture of how you did the passengers side it would probably help!

Cheers

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Nice mod and write up, might give it a go myself but when the doors open instead.

Thanks buddy!

Yeah it's 50/50, but I thought that I can have them coming on when I open the door anyway as if you leave your main headlights on in my car they turn off after a minute once the car is locked so when I open it again the lights come back on when I get in :)

Not as good but good enough haha all down to personal taste

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members