black diamond predator pads

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
i need a decent set of pads for my porsche 996 brake upgrade, i know everyone is going to say ds2500s, but after spending a friggin load on the porsche setup i need a decent priced set of pads, im going porsche 4 pot brembos off rear off 996, braided hoses etc etc

has anyone got prior experience of bd predator pads, seen a few good reviews on ukmkiv

opinions welcome or any other ideas appreciated

cheers guys

Rarpuc

Jun 28, 2008
west of scotland
I had them all round on my last car,Octy VRS, good improvment over standard pads and they dont make such a mess of your wheels either!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I'll be the first to say it then
DS2500 :p

Anyway, why would you spend money on a set of Porsche Calipers then scrimp on the pads.
you would have been better off buying the Brembo caps that fit over your calipers and stick Porsche stickers on them and save yourself all the bother.
What do you hope to gain by fitting these calipers with shitty pads?

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
well junior, 2 people above one with 1800 posts have used them and say they are a decent improvement, have you used these pads like??

also i have a road car not a track car.....

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
well junior, 2 people above one with 1800 posts have used them and say they are a decent improvement, have you used these pads like??

also i have a road car not a track car.....
Na hinna used them, they could be good.
I hope they are.
Best off sticking with what is well thought of until you can make up your own mind when you have these on your car.
I followed the crowd into EBC Ultimax and DS2500 pads, this was a mistake.
BUT
You have to make up your own mind about these things.
Everyone else thinks the Ultimax discs are good apart from me.
Different driving styles and different needs.
I will always buy expensive and decent tyres, discs and pads, its just something I don't scrimp and save on.
Each to their own.

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
i dont scrimp mate, i also have gsd3s and 325mm grooved discs porsche brembos expensive stage 2 maps etc etc, im sfter a decent upgrade from the single pot jjurid pads and 312mm discs, as i said im not gonna take it to a track ever. im after peoples opinions who have experience with these to guage if they are a decent upgrade over oem porsche pads which are textar, i am asking opinions as ebc greens are a performance pad but wildly slated on here so i am here to listen to peoples experiences.....

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Well the LCR OEM Brembo pads were very good on the LCR for normal everyday road driving and some spirited driving.
BUT
With sustained spirited driving exposed flaws in them.
Pagid fast road pads were good too and better than the OEM Brembos at the sustained spirited driving bit
BUT
Not as good as the DS2500, these are a little worse than the others at cold start braking but nothing too worrying.
BUT
On the sustained spirited driving they come into their own the hotter they get the better they grab.
Most people will call pads as they see them and how they drive their cars.
I give my car alot of stick so I need to know its going to stop if **** happens.
If you don't give your car alot of stick and depending on your price range I would recommend all of the above to you but probably more the LCR OEM Brembo ones if they do them in your size.
Around town and fast stops they are great just the sustained spirited driving bit that lets them down

I wasn't trying to be a ****, I find it difficult to see other opinions on brakes other than my own
But everyone has their own opinions, thats the beauty of these forums

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
no offence taken at all pal...

i value forum members opinions or i wouldnt ask, i have read some good reviews on these, and bearing in mind i never had the brembo setup in the first place i can see these as a viable upgrade option for a larger disc and 4 pot setup.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
don't know what peoples opinions of mintex pads are? i know they give a fair amount of brake dust, but i think they having good stopping properties :)

on a side note directed at JS; what didn't you like about the ebc discs and ds2500s? I'm using CRN grooved discs and ds2500s; i get a fair bit of vibration under braking after the car has been driven hard; but it wears off again with a bit of "normal" driving; also my ds2500s seem to be disappearing as fast as my front tyres? :-o

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
I had predator pads on my last car, They were better than the standerd pads but I would'nt buy them again.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
don't know what peoples opinions of mintex pads are? i know they give a fair amount of brake dust, but i think they having good stopping properties :)

on a side note directed at JS; what didn't you like about the ebc discs and ds2500s? I'm using CRN grooved discs and ds2500s; i get a fair bit of vibration under braking after the car has been driven hard; but it wears off again with a bit of "normal" driving; also my ds2500s seem to be disappearing as fast as my front tyres? :-o

They've never lived up to other set ups I've had on the LCR.
These were sold as an upgrade to the Brembo discs but they arn't as far as I'm concerned.
They have lasted 2 years which was good (but I have been doing lesss miles and less spirited driving due to a SCN member dying and us having a baby) compared to the 20,000 miles of just over a year I was used to.

The best set up I have had (to suit my driving) was the Drilled Brembo discs with Pagid fast road pads. But if I'd had these Brembo discs with DS2500 pads I thin it would have been a better set up as the DS2500 pads stand up better and work better when hot.
The vibration I felt aswell but as these were the first grooved discs I've had I don't have anything to compare these to.
The other thing I'm not sure about is that the grooves on these discs don't cover the whole pad area. So if the grooves are cleaning the pad surface then there not cleaning the whole pad surface which cannot be a good thing.

Danny are you sure you have the DS2500 pads? There are other Ferodo pads
After my discs have worn out I still have half of the pad material left

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
well ive gone for these pads, lets see what they are like eh..

44quid delievered cheaper than oem jjurid pads!

ill post findings when i finally have the carrera 4pots on.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Danny are you sure you have the DS2500 pads? There are other Ferodo pads
After my discs have worn out I still have half of the pad material left

Cheers for the review JS; gives a few different options to consider when i'm next changing. Yep, they are definitely DS2500s; i fitted them myself in June last year and have done around 8000miles since. I've recently had the car in the Isle of Man; and the de-restricted mountain road can be quite punishing on brakes; and a number of my miles have been towing my kart about on an unbraked trailer which I assume works the brakes harder than usual. I'll keep an eye on them, but i can't see them lasting over 15k. (maybe wearing out as fast as tyres was an exaggeration!)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Cheers for the review JS; gives a few different options to consider when i'm next changing. Yep, they are definitely DS2500s; i fitted them myself in June last year and have done around 8000miles since. I've recently had the car in the Isle of Man; and the de-restricted mountain road can be quite punishing on brakes; and a number of my miles have been towing my kart about on an unbraked trailer which I assume works the brakes harder than usual. I'll keep an eye on them, but i can't see them lasting over 15k. (maybe wearing out as fast as tyres was an exaggeration!)
So you've worked them quite hard then;)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.