Boost readings?

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
Ok just now fitted my boost gauge all seems to be working ok but just want to check what reading i should be getting? my car is a mapped 20VT. Any ideas please :help:

cupra_brown

Jul 27, 2005
so you done it then!

how did you get on?

mine readings seem to be like this....

on floor planted....boost shoots up to 25-27psi then drops straight away to around 18 psi and then holds at that...

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
ok, on my gauge it has 30 to 0 inHg than from 0 to 30 psi. Car switched off its 0 switch car on and it sits at about 25-30 inHg when i floor it it peaks at about 18 or so? holds about 10 maybe a bit less. To be honest i only had a quick drive, i will have a proper look at it tomorrow. Im not sure what the inHg is? :redface:

cupra_brown

Jul 27, 2005
the inhg is the vacuum i do believe....
my gauge has only got boost psi on it so i couldnt tell you if your is right or wrong. I did read that you gauge should go to the inhg side when you start up the back to 0. Then obviously when you floor it , it should go the other way!

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
well it is pretty much doing that, i think it was sitting around the 0 when im driving, cant remember? i will try and have a proper look tomorrow. Thanks mate.

Im pretty pleased with my self for getting it fitted, it looks good and im glad i spent the extra cash on the nomad pillar. Now i need to think of my next project :D

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
be negative pressure at idle
up to 0ish when normal driving
anything from 8-20 depending if your mapped etc etc etc

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Well mines at idle is -8 vac
On full trottle, its at 1.2 bar ( 17.40 psi), then holds at 1 bar (14.50psi)

chriswilks

Astra CDTi track car
Jun 3, 2007
warrington cheshire
Well mines at idle is -8 vac
On full trottle, its at 1.2 bar ( 17.40 psi), then holds at 1 bar (14.50psi)

that sound bout the same as mine!!was really worried mine was dropping for some reason but mine does the same although it goes upto bout 1.4 bar then settles at just over 1bar!!
my boost guage brings up max reading when i turn of ignition which is bout 1.4 bar which was confusing.thats my concern over anyway!!:)

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
that sound bout the same as mine!!was really worried mine was dropping for some reason but mine does the same although it goes upto bout 1.4 bar then settles at just over 1bar!!
my boost guage brings up max reading when i turn of ignition which is bout 1.4 bar which was confusing.thats my concern over anyway!!:)

what you mean when you 1.4bar when you off the ignition, mines jumps to zero when i turn it off :confused:

chriswilks

Astra CDTi track car
Jun 3, 2007
warrington cheshire
its a bit weird....its programmed to show the highest reading after every drive!!!quite cool but quite pointless....its wired in.one of those annoying ones on a servo but it lights up red at night which looks ace!!!

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
Ok, peak boost is about 17-18 then holds about 14-15psi. normal driving is around the 0. I think this is all about right. need to be careful tho coz im finding myself watching the gauge and not the road! :drive2:

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Ok, peak boost is about 17-18 then holds about 14-15psi. normal driving is around the 0. I think this is all about right. need to be careful tho coz im finding myself watching the gauge and not the road! :drive2:

Same here, ive moved my gauge from window pod into centre console, now the passengers can watch :D

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Got a non mapped LCR, with -30inHg when idle, 0 when off and bout 0 on normal driving, (motorway using harly any throttle) the spikes at 12 holds bout 11psi on full throttle, falling to 10 towards the red line.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
weird that these seem to spike and then hold
always learned there was something wrong if it was spiking, turbo cars ive had just hit the max and hold.

hmmmm

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
weird that these seem to spike and then hold
always learned there was something wrong if it was spiking, turbo cars ive had just hit the max and hold.

hmmmm

got feeling that these vacum gauges are not that accurate compared to the digital readings from the ecu.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members