How is everyones air filter set up?

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
hello just wondering the best application for air filter wondering where people have theres??? got my 1.4 remaped sunday but guy told me that for me to be pushing around the 84bhp i would have to sort out my air filter i said to put it in the side wing he said you should gain around 6/7bhp???

Steve GTI

Feb 26, 2007
FPMSL! 7bhp by moving an air filter? Did he also tell you that putting a NOS sticker in the window gave you an extra 10bhp!

Who exactly told you that? I doubt you'd get 5bhp by fitting an induction kit let alone moving it.

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
A guy who works for chipped uk but it is an independate company. he said people dont realise the gains an air filter can give he said this is because of the way they apply there filter and set it up. Also said if it is not done properly it will actually make you down on power and also cause ur mpg become not good.

Last edited:

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
The cupra`s air intake is situated in the wing as standard not sure about the 1.4? I enlarged mine to 100mm with a proformance filter and did notice a differance not 6/7bhp lol but better throttle response. how much did you pay for your 're-map' if you dont mind me asking? Also how did he do it did he take your ecu out? or use your diognostic port?

David.

By putting it in the wing/arch liner you would allow more cold air into the system rather than just the hot air from the engine bay. So you might end up with 1 or 2 shetland ponies but nothing major.

Last edited:

Steve GTI

Feb 26, 2007
chippeduk! There's a suprise! They seem to think they can get 100bhp from a std 1.2 sxi corsa after a remap! They are jokers imo.

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
i payed £245 and he flashed ecu files with laptop via port!
my filter as standard was in engine cover so the cover stopped heat. I got a viper pipercross by the way. Ok il tell you what he told me to do he said get the filter and hosing for it as far away from engine as possibale and make sure theres no dinky bends as this will decrease performance he also said put filter in the right wing he said you will get nice amount of ram air from there he also said to get some heat shield wrap and wrap the hose and the air filter with that he said that will stop alot of heat soak

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
den he was like 6/7bhp i should gain! he also said if possibale grab a cold air feed from fog light as i dont have any there and its just covers he said pop 1 open and put cold air feed there into wing

Jun 28, 2001
have yo had it proven that you now have more power ar has the fish and chip guy done something like advance your timing????????

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
not yet cant afford to put her on rollers yet. My work has got sum come to think abou tit but think there for braking tests

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
it'll make a huge difference relocating it - you just need to get inventive

I'll bet it'll make more difference than your 'remap'

main.php

main.php

Jun 28, 2001
remember the faster it goes in you need to get it out well as well i.e. exhaust flow/primary cat etc

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
i kno mate getting back box put on sunday was going to get a cat back but i dont think its worth it so just sticking with back box and maby a cupra cat con

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
dont wana spend to much more money on engine now i have admit since remap car feels hell of alot more willing than before still gets beating by mk2 1.8 lol im going to race my mates 55plate fiesta his is a 1.4 and is 76bhp his car used to blow mine away before so it will be good car to see if map has made any difference.

Last edited:

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
A back box will do nothing, A cat back my help a little, you really need a manifold back for good gains. A 1.4 chill/s will never beat a 1.8. Not without spending stupid amounts of money....

David.

Steve GTI

Feb 26, 2007
What do you mean by "a huge amount of difference" Mork? It's a low powered 1.4, it's not going to be a huge gain is it?

donovan2123

Jan 14, 2007
Oxford
ok people didnt want to start an argument lol, just wanted to know how to make sure air filter is applied properly!!
supa didnt buy back box for gains bought it more for a nice sound shuld go nicely with filter! i would get cat but dnt really have the money for a decent 1

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members