Fuel Cost no object; which Cupra would you buy? PD160 or 180?

Neil_Cupra

As above. I leaning more towards the PD160 as I've read a few reviews that despite being a diesel its still the lighter and better car. I know this could open up a whole debate but what I really want to know is that as running costs aren't really that important does the PD160 justify the additional £1200 price tag?

Fez boy

Apr 23, 2003
Watford
Visit site
How many miles will you be doing each year?

I just sold my TDi as I was only doing 6 miles to work and back so no point in driving a diesel every day :whistle:

If your going to mod the car then the petrol will be quicker with like for like mods ;) (not much though)

TDi will be cheaper tax and fuel but not sure on the insurance as it's group 15/16?

You need to do and test drive them both as see what you think as they will both be different drives :)

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
if fuel cost is not an issue, aswell as tax, then it's got to be the 180 petrol really, the only reson i have a derv is because it's cheaper insurence and tax,

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
Having previously owned a 150 FR 20VT and now driving an FR TDi 130 (basically to save money - which it does) I was very surprosed how much better I found the TDi to drive. It's not quicker off the line, where it is quicker though is where the power is needed.

If money was no object I'd choose the TDi, more driveability IMO.

Neil_Cupra

How many miles will you be doing each year?

I just sold my TDi as I was only doing 6 miles to work and back so no point in driving a diesel every day :whistle:

I do 50 miles driving per day, but the car will be bought outright with no finance so I'm wondering whether I should (maybe) spend a little more in fuel have a little more fun with Petrol again ;)

And yes I did used to own a Cupra TDi and apart from my A4 S-line that was the best car I ever owned (until Johnsons Of Braintree did a warranty repair on it and it started to go all pear shaped [:@] )

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I just get frustrated whenever I drive a petrol now; I've got so used to putting my foot down and having the torque where I need it that petrols feel really gutless until you revved hard.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Not driven a remapped 1.8T then muddy :rolleyes: they have some serious grunt.

I guess if you just want to get there - and driving 300 miles a week, I'll bet you do.... then I'd get the diesel.

for the odd 5 mins per journey that you would 'have fun' vs the other hour - I'd say the diesel would still make for lazier driving.

If you need convincing do a spreadsheet with the costs per mile for each fuel type & see if the £1200 cost increase pays for itself in your expected ownership period

Here's one I did for Syphon - http://www.seatcupra.net/m0rk/temp/compare.xls

gorebrush

Sep 18, 2006
South Wales
Yeah, but it is delivered in a totally different way..

I would have gone to the FR page on Seat's website and pulled the figures off, but it seems it's broken.

Anyway, point i'm getting at is: -

226 (or 229?) lb/ft of Torque in a TDI is delivered at 2000rpm, i.e. when you get into a new gear, and you need the power for overtaking

In the petrol, it comes at comparatively high revs... my last car i found I had to the rev the **** out of it to get any decent speed out of it...

bloody 2.0 8V thing