Parking Sensors / Park Assist Error

Feb 4, 2022
Morning Folks,

I own a 21 plate Formentor with just under 9000 miles and like a lot of people on the forum I’m having countless issues!

Put the car into the garage this morning due to the infotainment screen continually blacking out or freezing, SOS emergency and the new error that only started around a week ago - front park assist. It shows my front parking sensors with an “X” next to them on the infotainment screen when I go into reverse and now they won’t work at all.

The garage have plugged it into a diagnostic check and advise it’s “environmental error” on the sensors and state it’s because they are chipped by stones - something they say isn’t covered under warranty and they want £674 to repair.

Does anyone have any idea what legs I have to stand on? Surely if it’s stone chipped if I get them repaired at that cost it will only happen again in time? Any help or advice would be appreciated!
A1364A0C-09A4-449D-BE8C-23BB58E93AE5.png

• Wow
Reactions: jcbmally

Spivvy

Nov 21, 2021
UK
I have never heard of sensors being damaged by stones before they must have been huge .
And your right what's too so it happening again
I would not let cupra/vag off lightly , try to contact direct , don't let them dealer or you off

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Sounds like a cop-out to me.
It's difficult to believe that in 9000 miles you've collected enough stone chips to make them stop working; unless you rallycross your car at the weekends ;):)

Feb 4, 2022
Thanks for the replies!

I have done a live chat with Cupra who have asked me to send them an email….probably a mistake on their part as I’ve just tore them a new one explaining error after error with the vehicle since we got it last May. Can only hope they come to their senses…or sensors!

TheUkWizard

Jun 3, 2021
West midlands
Wow this is mental, I have never damaged a sensor in any of my cars and I do a lot of motorway miles and windy Welsh roads too.

Is the front of your car peppered with stone chips and can u see any damage to them yourself? Would expect you to see tons of chip damage all over.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
It would be best to check sensors condition and see if they are damaged or not. Also, wouldn't it be just one sensor not working, rather than all of them. Similar to situation, when one could be dirty.

Feb 4, 2022
Had a look at the sensors now the car is back. They do have “marks” on them that would equate to scratches but absolutely nothing out of the ordinary when comparing it to family members cars with sensors. Still no reply from Cupra/Seat to my email. When Seat Assist came out last week to investigate the SOS error the mechanic advised once the centre module is replaced that should fix the sensors as it was an electrical “knock on effect” so fingers crossed when that unit is replaced it solves the sensor issue but I don’t have high hopes.

Apr 14, 2022
Mine is two weeks old with 380 miles on it 220 of them delivery mileage, and i have the same problem, my wife has driven it a couple of times, i havent been able to as i have broken my leg, i wouldn't have believed her, if i hadnt seen for myself

Reactions: Nairn1092
Feb 4, 2022
Mine is two weeks old with 380 miles on it 220 of them delivery mileage, and i have the same problem, my wife has driven it a couple of times, i havent been able to as i have broken my leg, i wouldn't have believed her, if i hadnt seen for myself
Sorry for the late reply to this had trouble signing into my account….any further update with your sensors?

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
I had a Octavia vRS for 6 years & never had a parking sensor problem.

My 2018 Leon FR intermittently shows a rear parking sensor failure. I have realised that it often happens a few days after driving, or sometimes just parking, in heavy rain.

A clean & then spray with WD40 gets them working again. Until the next time!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise