Leon 1.8 20V Problem

Tweak-

Hello everyone, first of all im from the Netherlands.. so my english is maybe a bit crap but im going to do my best.

My car is a Seat Toledo mk1 and my friend has a Seat Leon mk1 1.8 20V with an APG engine.

The Leon has a very "strange" problem, and im not able to find what the problem is. When u start the car, the RPM will drop down and engine will stall. When u try to use the gas pedal it wont respond nothing.. sometimes it runs for a couple of seconds.

Used VAGCOM to check for errors.. there where allot of errors, i erased them and nothing comes back. Someone found out that the problem is something with the fuel pressure. When u squeeze in the fuel hose (the one before the injectorrail) the engine runs perfect! so i placed something to squeeze the hose and runs perfect all the power is there to.

But that is not a solution. So someone replaced a little small thing on the right of the injector rail (small round thing that determines the fuel pressure?) that didint help. I replaced yesterday the fuel pump and doesnt help. The only thing that is between the pump and injectorrail is the fuel filter... but i dont think that is the problem.

when i was trying to read out some info with vagcom i had once allot of errors short to grnd on the injectors, on google i found someone explaining that the fuel pump relay causes the errors. so maybe that is broken? i can swap it with my toledo.

But can someone explain me this: WHY does it run perfect when u squeeze the hose?? when u do that, will it bring down the bar or does it generate MORE bar?

I hope someone can help me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tweak-

The Coil packs? damn lets see if i can find out what it means (for translating) and i forgot to mention. when the hose is normal and u try to start etc, then u can smell the fuel (benzin)

Tweak-

Oh i think u mean the "Bobine" (in dutch) i cant post url (not enough posts) its the thing that generates the high voltage (4 cables on it) to generate the sparks..

i think its ****, because mine is **** to. in the beginning i was able to see sparks where u put the cables on. some dude took the cables off and back on. and that is gone..

Edit: the FIRST time when i tried to read the fault codes.. there was like on every cil a misfire so maybe that thing is broken. i could swap it with mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tweak-

Some hours back i placed my coil pack in the Leon.. and it didint help.

But i found a huge broken hose.. the Coil pack was on the left full with oil. Above the oil filter there is a big plastic hose that connects back to the intake or something? in dutch the say the "carter ontluchting" but i dont think this causes the problem?

And if u want to get the engine running u need to squeeze the hose for the fuel olmost closed so its very small. I really dont know what the problem here is. but it seems the coil pack and cables are ok.

Tweak-

See here:

ww w.max-tweak.nl/leon1.jpg

ww w.max-tweak.nl/leon2.jpg

Tweak-

Dunno if anyone is reading this topic, but i think i finally found the problem!

When u turn the key (and dash lights go on etc, but dont start) the fuel pump wil kick in to generate pressure. then it stops.. this is normal.

BUT when i turn the key to off and 1 second later i turn it back on, the fuel pump kicks in again! that is not normal. So what is happening (that i think..) when fuel pump goes on it generates like 3 bar? one injector ore more is leaking!! so the bar goes down.. and fuel is in the cil..

so u can imagine when u start the car, (it runs for some seconds) but the fuel pump goes on and generates 3 bar again, and to much fuel comes in the engine.. so i think this is really the problem. the injectors are broken and leaking the 3 bar pressure is "to much" and it will leak. thats why it runs "fine" when u squeeze the hose.

Anyone agree with this?

Tweak-

Injectors are fine. and today i finally found the problem. the mass air flow meter was not good? there was no error in the computer. But i disconnected it and the engine was running fine? so today i replaced it and fixed!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members