Formentor 1.5 TSI fuel economy

tzuicomicina

Feb 14, 2023
I also own a Skoda Octavia 3 FL powered by 1.5TSI 110kW (DADA) 6MT and a Golf 8 powered by 1.5TSI 96kW (DPBA) 6MT, and the consumption numbers on the same stretch (~700km) and speed (130km/h) are 6.5-6.7L/100km for the Skoda, 5.8-6L/100km for the Golf (30kg heavier than the Skoda). Based on these numbers I think the Ateca numbers you mentioned are a little off.

Regarding the difference between the Ateca and the Formentor: first of all the DSG gearbox is different on the Ateca vs Formentor on the 1.5TSI engine. The Ateca has the the dry clutch DQ200 (one oil pump and ~2L of oil) which is more efficient than the wet clutch DQ381 (two oil pumps and ~6L of oil, 20kg heavier). Second the Formentor has quite an irregular shape, large wheels, and creates a lot of drag at high speeds. The Ateca seems like a more aerodynamic design. I did search for the Formentor official numbers for drag to confirm these assumptions but I couldn't find any. Still, the numbers seem a little on the high side. I'd like to find a Tiguan 1.5TSI DQ381 to test on the same stretch :)

Reactions: Zix96

Zix96

Apr 25, 2024
I also own a Skoda Octavia 3 FL powered by 1.5TSI 110kW (DADA) 6MT and a Golf 8 powered by 1.5TSI 96kW (DPBA) 6MT, and the consumption numbers on the same stretch (~700km) and speed (130km/h) are 6.5-6.7L/100km for the Skoda, 5.8-6L/100km for the Golf (30kg heavier than the Skoda). Based on these numbers I think the Ateca numbers you mentioned are a little off.

Regarding the difference between the Ateca and the Formentor: first of all the DSG gearbox is different on the Ateca vs Formentor on the 1.5TSI engine. The Ateca has the the dry clutch DQ200 (one oil pump and ~2L of oil) which is more efficient than the wet clutch DQ381 (two oil pumps and ~6L of oil, 20kg heavier). Second the Formentor has quite an irregular shape, large wheels, and creates a lot of drag at high speeds. The Ateca seems like a more aerodynamic design. I did search for the Formentor official numbers for drag to confirm these assumptions but I couldn't find any. Still, the numbers seem a little on the high side. I'd like to find a Tiguan 1.5TSI DQ381 to test on the same stretch :)
Thank you for an extensive reply. Someone on this thread mentioned he owned 2 Atecas which produced those numbers so that's why I mentioned it. I think the 2.0tsi ~209hp could be the sweetspot on the new Formentor.
On the side note, I would never guess Golf 8 is 30kg heavier than Octavia.

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
Yeah, that sounds about right what I get. Can you elaborate on the design part and why it affects the economy? I'm very curious why the Formentor has worse economy by more than 2l/100km compared to the Ateca with the same engine and similar weight.

What petrol grade are you fueling your 1.5 TSI with out of curiosity?

Even if you don't gain power with the higher octane fuels on the 1.5 - you should still be seeing some economy benefits between E10 (95) and E5 (99).

I gain approx. 10% milage, costing an average 14% more.

Zix96

Apr 25, 2024
What petrol grade are you fueling your 1.5 TSI with out of curiosity?

Even if you don't gain power with the higher octane fuels on the 1.5 - you should still be seeing some economy benefits between E10 (95) and E5 (99).

I gain approx. 10% milage, costing an average 14% more.
I always use 100 octane fuel, at least they advertise it as 100, but I live in Serbia so you never know. :D

tzuicomicina

Feb 14, 2023
Also the weight must not be ignored when comparing Ateca to Formentor: in the specs the Ateca 1.5TSI DSG starts at 1370kg, while my Formentor is 1460kg. Probably all these points combined lead to Formentor being on the higher side when it comes to fuel consumption. A friend has the Formentor with a manual transmission and he consistently reports lower numbers than I do :)

Zix96

Apr 25, 2024
Also the weight must not be ignored when comparing Ateca to Formentor: in the specs the Ateca 1.5TSI DSG starts at 1370kg, while my Formentor is 1460kg. Probably all these points combined lead to Formentor being on the higher side when it comes to fuel consumption. A friend has the Formentor with a manual transmission and he consistently reports lower numbers than I do :)
What do you think about the mild hybrid engine? It could be useful in getting the car going from the stop.

tzuicomicina

Feb 14, 2023
I don't know what savings does the mild hybrid version add, but the new Budack cycle EA211 evo2 110kW sounds promising.
This weekend I had a trip involving the same ~700km stretch at 130km/h: 8.1L/100km on one way with ~1h traffic jam and waiting in line, and 7.0L/100km on the return journey with a small 10min traffic jam just before entering the highway. These numbers look very good compared to my previous two runs last winter.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members