5dr outer door trim / bump strips

TollyV5

Dec 7, 2023
Does anyone know if it's still possible to buy new outer door trim / bump strips? Does anyone know the part numbers?

I have a Toledo mk2 that shares the same parts as the Leon and it unfortunately came with plastic bump strips on the doors. I am aiming to colour code / paint these body coloured and it would be much easier to do this on new items than to try and remove the old ones undamaged. I think they are bonded on, not clipped on like the bumper strips (If anyone can confirm this?)

If you have any advice on removing and refitting these after painting, I'd be really grateful.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Does anyone know if it's still possible to buy new outer door trim / bump strips? Does anyone know the part numbers?

I have a Toledo mk2 that shares the same parts as the Leon and it unfortunately came with plastic bump strips on the doors. I am aiming to colour code / paint these body coloured and it would be much easier to do this on new items than to try and remove the old ones undamaged. I think they are bonded on, not clipped on like the bumper strips (If anyone can confirm this?)

If you have any advice on removing and refitting these after painting, I'd be really grateful.

I've got one for the offside rear door you'd be welcome to have. There's a scuff on one end of it, but if you're painting it, that wouldn't be an issue. It would be a couple of weeks as it's on the car at the moment and need to swap it with the one from my old door.

They come off easily enough - you can use fishing line like if you were debadging, and drip some IPA or use a heat gun to release the adhesive.

I'll be using 3M tape to reattach it. Anything less than 10mm wide will be fine. There are holes in the door and posts on the strip that will help get it lined up. Just make sure the mating surface is clean and it'll stay on there forever...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TollyV5

Dec 7, 2023
Thanks for the replies, chaps - As luck would have it, I found a set of good, used ones just now for £40 delivered on ebay, so have purchased those. Can then prep and paint without having to worry about doing it on the car or prising them off to paint.

Reactions: mty12345
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members