Slow fan issue

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
I've now got the slow fan fault problem where the fans only work at high speed when you flick the air con on. In traffic yesterday the temperature went from 90 to 100 and then back again.

I'm working on a fix, but in the meantime can I just check it won't actually overheat because the emergency high speed fan will always kick in? It just gets above 90 because it's lost its ability to run low speed?

Should I keep the air con off so that the fan isn't constantly running at high speed?

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
It shouldn't overheat in this weather, the high speed fan should catch it each time. It's probably not great for the engine to run hot for too long, but as long as you're getting it fixed in the next couple of weeks then i'm sure it'll be fine mate.

As for the aircon, if that causes the high speed fan to kick in, then i'd switch it on when you see the temp go above 90 and that way you should catch it before it gets to 100C.

Having the heaters set to the hottest and fastest setting is probably the best way to cool the engine down if things get too hot.

Last edited:

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Still not sorted this out because of the weather being rubbish (and babies eating up every second of spare time!).

Need to get this sorted now its getting warmer. Quick question - does the Leon have this same cross member as the Golf IV?:

Fanfix16_zps5be9926a.jpg

I need to take the bumper off anyway to replace it, so is this location also feasible with the Leon? It seems easier to get to the connectors using this method instead of mounting the plate beneath the battery tray.

If so, does anyone know if the exact same plate would fit? Holes in the same place etc?

Last edited:

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Yeah, it turned out a bit fiddly in the end! The tricky part was getting the plug out of the fan module so you could swing the wires out to get to them. Had to unplug the starter motor to help.

Still, all done now. We ended up opening the box and adjusting the modulator to test it - you can switch between hurricane speed and slow speed (although slow speed is actually pretty fast when you don't have anything to compare it to).

Mid operation with one wire stripped:

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.