Help - Interior Mirror Wiring

gregdaisley

Hi all, I've just received my auto-dimming rear-view mirror...

There is no plug in the headlining for me to plug straight in and it to work :(

The connector from the cable that goes into the mirror has 4 wires, but what are they and what wire do I need to connect them to for it to work?

Some pics to help describe the problem:

dscf0065x.jpg

dscf0062t.jpg

Looking for a wiring diagram and advice.

Thanks, Greg.

Reactions: bigbadjay

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Just shove an exposed wire in the holes until you get power! Then hijack that mofo

How much did it end up costing greg?

Last edited:

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Whats the mirror off?

If its an A3 (which I assume will be the same as a Leon, it needs +12v to pin 1 and -12v to pin 6

The pins should be numbered on the plastic connector.

The other wires are for auto lights

Reactions: gregdaisley

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Maybe open the mirror with credit card like on that led fitting guide you sent me the link to.
Then trace the wires to what part they go to if you get floaters earth them to a reliable point or try pair them off into one wire.
My experience comes from bodging PCs in collage and quick fixing machinery at work, so any follow up posts saying im wrong, i very well maybe!!!! Thats how i do things tho :p hope its of some help mate

gregdaisley

Problem Solved

Got it working at last!

Bought 10m of 3A 0.2mm wire and some connectors from Maplin for less than £5.

After a lot of trial and error, I managed to work out which wire was + and which on was - on the plug coming from the mirror.

dscf0066zt.jpg

Black = Negative
White = Positive

So once that was discovered all I had to do was find a positive feed and an earth/return.

Positive Feed: Taken from the rear of the interior lighting dimmer switch, Greyish Purple wire, which means the mirror and LEDs only activate with sidelights/headlights. This obviously had to be routed up to the mirror, I went up the A pillar then across the top of the windscreen.

dscf0071qg.jpg

DSCF0073.jpg

Earth: Taken from the loom that the main interior lights plug into, Brown wire.

dscf0070hx.jpg

Once routed it was a case of hooking up the wires permanently, I used 4x Scotchlocks which make it very quick and easy to do.

After that all that was left to do was to replace the A pillar trim and put the interior light back in.

I'll get some pics when it gets dark!

Hope this helps anyone in the future,

Greg.

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Yooo u did it! Nice work. really.

Just afew qs, how did you feed the wire from base of pillar to lights switch?
How did you take the lights switch out?
How did you secure your wire to back of the dimming switch wire (grey/white wire) (good find or what?:p)

Trim removal is defintly not my strong point! I unclipd the wires without taking lights switch out through the panel underneath.

Lastly, i am now getting on ebay for one of these babys! Plus u can sell your old one n make your money back......

Top banana :1st:

gregdaisley

Thanks buddy!

Once you remove the pillar trim you can get access to the rear of the light switch so just feed it down and it'll pop out somewhere near there.

I used Scotchlocks, hard to describe, Google it :p

Its really easy to remove the light switch itself, push the switch in and turn towards the sidelight position, this unlocks the the switch, and at the same time pull it towards you.

I might get it on there depends whether I want to keep it as a spare or not?

Greg

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.