Cupra R rear conversion complete in white ! PICS

andyccr

FR CR
Jul 19, 2002
Essex
Well, we finally managed to find time to fit the valence and Cupra R rear box!

We tried to fit it last night but found that the cheap exhaust reducer was just that ! Cheap !!!

So, off to the welder this morning and had him make a proper sleeve for us to take the 55mm OD of the FR exhaust to the much larger 69mm OD of the Cupra R back box.

Once this was done we removed the original FR valence, well it needed a bit of help, but with two of us and a couple of plastic trim tools it finally came unclipped. It was much easier to do on a ramp as one of us could push the trim clips from the rear whilst the other used a trim tool and some brute force !
We followed the instructions supplied which were about 90% correct. The instructions don't show the exact point to cut the exhaust, or tell you that you actually have to cut a small piece of metal behind a plastic trim panel.

Anyway, once we'd trimmed it all up the fitting was fine as the welder done a superb job on the sleeve.

The new valence clipped in place correctly - I'm glad of this as I bonded the two pieces together HOPING that I'd done it right !!!

The part that took maybe the longest was the fitting of the exhaust hangers and trying to get the pipes sitting straight and even and getting the height correct to allow for a little 'bounce' of the backbox - I'm going to order some uprated exhaust rubbers Monday to make 100% sure.

Well, here are the results, I'm glad I went with the white - I'm really happy with the outcome. I've also removed the FR badge tonight and it makes the rear end look more symetrical.

I'm going to order up some of the Cupra R little arch spats and have those painted white too, and also maybe some mudflaps also painted white (but I'm a little unsure of the mudflaps yet!)

Have a look at the pics, comments welcome good or bad !!!

fin1.jpg

fin2.jpg

fin3.jpg

fin4.jpg

fin5.jpg

fin6.jpg

fin7.jpg

fin8.jpg

fin9.jpg

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
Looks better than i thought it would!

Although i kind of feel like it looks a bit back heavy, if that makes sense?

Sep 19, 2010
Glasgow
Good effort.....to much all white in my opinion and is that a proper oem cupra R backbox? Cause for some reason they look lost in the holes in the diffuser.

andyccr

FR CR
Jul 19, 2002
Essex
Craig I didn't want to go black like the R as I have to say I'm not a great fan of it in black! Also I think the black wheels set it off enough. I'm a big fan of OEM parts and although the rear valence isn't the best fit ever I'm please I've done it

But at the end of the day variety is the spice of life so I knew some people would like it and some wouldn't!

The worst thing was not knowing if it would actually look right at all!!!!

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Nice work, have to say too white for me. Takes too much weight to the rear and like said the pipe look a bit lost. Think black would be the more common but way better looking option for your car.

matt l

Jan 28, 2008
Looks lovely that does :thumbs:

Always wanted the twin exhausts on mine... something to get done when i get parking sensors fitted :lol:

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Sorry to thread highjack here but would I be right in thinking the 2012 model Cupra R no longer comes with twin exhaust diffuser and they are simply using the discontinued Cupra oval exit on the FR diffuser?

The car configurator on seats website and the pics in their gallery would suggest so but I've not heard this was being ditched?

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
I wasnt sure about the white when you first started putting this together and although i prefer the grey / black of the standard FR, Cupra and R i do think it looks pretty cool all white.

The spats you mentioned will compliment it nicely but please dont go white with the mud flaps...

Nov 28, 2006
Sorry to thread highjack here but would I be right in thinking the 2012 model Cupra R no longer comes with twin exhaust diffuser and they are simply using the discontinued Cupra oval exit on the FR diffuser?

The car configurator on seats website and the pics in their gallery would suggest so but I've not heard this was being ditched?

There goes the major, IMO, reason to go for an 'R' over the standard Cupra.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.