SAIS playing up, need some advise ;0

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
Heyya guys, i think my SAIS pump has borked... the last few days i noticed that my car wasnt sounding like a jet engine on startup, when it was dark however i noticed that the lights would flicker for about the same time that the pump should be on (around 1minute) on and off every few seconds almost as if say you press the window up button when the windows are up and the power drain is noticable only briefly..

Now I have my engine managment light on with a p0411 fault saying secondary air injection pump incorrect air flow yadda yadda... only since i noticed the pump not coming on.

Is it possible to just disconect the pump? I dont know nearly enough about cars to remove the whole system. I have read enough on here to know the pump is a useless pos, but can anyone who may have had a similar fault (on a leon) advise what the best thing is for me to do? all i want is for the engine management light to stay off, so could i say unplug the pump and would that stop the light? :shrug:

Also if anyone knows the part number for the sai pump please lemme know so i can atleast find out a price on it, and is it an easy thing to replace? or would i need to take it into a garage? I really dont want to pay £500+ just to stop the engine light coming on =/

Last edited:

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Its a common thing on the Ibiza cupras (and I think the Leon's too) to disconnect the SAI pump and replace it with a resistor and the ECU thinks that its still running fine.
I can't give you the specifics :) I'm sure others will know exactly what to do but fear not its a cheap cheap fix.

jamie1

Sep 28, 2010
south east
As said above, disconnect the electrical plug to the unit and join in a resistor as this will trick the ecu into thinking it is still plugged in.

EDIT: if you do a search you can find out exactly what resistor to use.

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
Thanks for the replys. I looked into the resistors and think i know the one i need (http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=160382) I then attach a wire to either end and plug this into the socket? are there only two holes, and how do i know what wire goes into what hole? (are the cables on the pump pos and neg?)

Also if someone could tell me where the pump is located, the best i could find out by searching was drivers side and you have to come at it from under the car. if someone has a pic from a leon cupra that would help alot also =P

Sorry to be a pain in the arse, just dont want to get this wrong since it's tied into the ECU and am hoping this is something I can do myself to save me having to have a mechanic do it.. My Cupra loves you all <3

Last edited:

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
I think the whole pump may be pooped, I noticed it not coming on at all and the lights flickering a few days before the engine managment light came on.. havent had any issues before that.. atleast my car doesnt sound like a jet waiting to take off atm =O

Ordered them resistors last night, hoping someone can give me some advise on fitting them on a leon (dont want to connect the resistor the wrong way around or something stupid like that) and the location of the pump etc. (seems to be in different places on vag cars)

also. i noticed this morning with the eml light on it seems like the lights did not flicker at all.. but the pump still did not come on.

Last edited:

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Yes there are only two holes in the connector and it doesnt matter which one you put the wire in to. The SAI is attached to the block at the front to the left as you look at the car, (just follow the hoses) you will also need to blank of the valve that the smaller hose attaches it self too, you can get these from forge, you will need to remove the whole valve and the blank fixes to the head.

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
When you say about using the blanking plate, do i have to do that if i am not removing the pump? Wouldent it just be as if the pump was switched off?

Thanks for all the help so far guy's. im a complete noob under the bonnet =O

Last edited:

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
Thanks for the link, I want to see if this resistor arrives and fixes the problem tomorrow morning, just because that thing drives me and my neighbours mad, if it doesnt solve the problem then i'll snap that pump up.. The price is spot on too :happy: may just buy it either way...:whistle:

Will let you know how i get on =)

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
Hey guys... i uplugged the SAI pump and put a resistor in but now after 200 or so miles with the engine light off, it has just come back on with the same p0411 fault code. (secondary air injection pump incorrect flow detected) any ideas how this can be possible if the pump is not even plugged in? does it sound like i will have to replace the pump all together?

Last edited:

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Hmm it seems no ones replied yet,
I dont have any information as I've not done it myself but should the resistor etc be installed correctly and working then it should never ever need to be replaced. I dont want to second guess your work but that would be my guess at this point.

However I've not done it myself, so heres a free bump to the top of the forum and hopefully someone can offer advice!

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
i cant work out why it would go 200 miles with no problem then the engine light comes back on with the p0411 fault code... if the resistor was not connected correctly/working then it would just come up with the open circuit fault code?

What im also not sure on, is if the pump is not connected but does the air still flow to it? if so then it must be detecting the incorrect flow elsewhere as the pump is not even plugged in at the moment? (we did not remove the pump mearly unplugged it and placed the resistor into the conection)

just annoying, i just want the engine light off dont care about the pump, but the only thing i can think of here is to have the pump replaced?

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
anyone have any ideas about this as to why its not working? could it be the resistor that's faulty? i have a couple spare so i guess i can try to swap the resistor.. but im sure if the resistor was not working it would come up with a open circuit fault code with the pump unplugged?

If anyone happens to know the part number for the pump please let me know, its the 1.8 20vt cupra. i think thats my only other option to replace the pump...

Also if anyone knows of a good garage where i could get the pump swapped out in SE london please let me know also (I live in woolwich) I think im going to have to get a real mechanic to do the swap since it can be a pain to get out, dont wanna get ripped off on labour charges..:cry:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.