Leon Custom Sound Install

hubbly_bubbly

[center][img]http://i374.
Aug 18, 2008
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hiya

Finally got my (o so necessary) sound installed in the Cupra. Consisting of Sony 10" Slimline sub, Starsound Digital amp and custom back board.

I used to have 2 x 12" subs in a custom box in my peug...ceredes benz i mean. Big box meant no boot and i been enjoying the leon boot so much i went opposite of a big bass install. Just wanted something to compliment the standard sound system. Everything was done DIY, from the back board construction to the wiring up to the standard H/U etc (Thanks to Davos Tutorial from his sound install). So far im loving the additional bass, it's B.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l without being ear drum killer :)

Was going for a stock standard look, while still having full use of the boot. This layout i actually copied from the newer gen audi's coming with the B&O sound systems which mount the subwoofer in the boot (effectively using the boot as the "box" and playing into the cabin). Had the pleasure of sitting in an A5 with the B&O and it blew me away the sound quality and power.

Some pics of the install

Building backboard

DSC01026.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

DSC01029.jpg

DSC01030.jpg

Build and Installation complete

DSC01037.jpg

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01040.jpg

DSC01052.jpg

Full boot space ready for service

DSC01065.jpg

Last edited:

Poverty

very tidy install, would be slightly concerned about the upside down amp though as heat rises.

leon263

Jan 12, 2008
Very, very tidy. Is that a free air sub?, hope it's not supposed to be boxed.

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
Cool! Stealth is the way forward! Was it easy to wire into the standard head unit? And what about hiding the wiring?

ModifyItAll

I totally agree!!! Is there a link for this tutorial that you used to put this project together. Just wanted some more details on building the rear shelf to hold the sub and amplifier.

hubbly_bubbly

Aug 18, 2008
Thanks for the positive comments guys, was really a labour of love (it sure took long enough) :) I checked the amp after a prolonged session of playing and the casing (made up of a whole bunch of fins is working well to dissapate the heat. Also the carpet was cut away under the amp to allow air to flow underneath it aswell to help keep the temp down.
It is not a free air sub. Most subs these days are designed to be powerful and rigid to be able to fit in the smallest volume boxes and still sound good. Effectively using the boot as a LARGE box any speaker I think should play just fine? (Im no expert though :) ) I am impressed with the speaker mounted as it is. I didnt know there were specific free air subs so i went with the sony slimline to avoid it protruding too deep into the boot and i lurv sony (had full sony install in my pugatti)

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

It wasnt too difficult wiring to the H/U, i followed Davros thread (link below). The only difference required when tapping into the back of the H/U for the REM signal to the amp the CDC pin needs to be used and not the uB CDC (see Blaupunkt diagram in link)

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117628

In terms of hiding the wiring, you just have to be patient with running the cables down the sides of the car, take the time to remove the necessary panels and unclipping the side sills last to hide the wires underneath them. THe backboard was built on the fly, my dad helped me out. We copied the style of the original board (measuring and tracing it for sizes). There are two 6mm stiffner plates (made from supawood, same as the backboard main boards) attached with wood pins. This helps keep the board rigid and allows the sub to play on a stiff support. Ill have to make some drawings of the backboard with dimensions. It was a case of measuring, cutting, fitting and adjusting to get the board to sit flush against the back seats and seal on the boot too.

Thanks for the words though guys, appreciate it ;)

Cheers

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
from my experience with subs, having it mounted like that it won't even sound like a speaker, let alone a sub.

I did something similar with my old car, but instead, used a piece of MDF as the boot floor and put the sub in the middle. (above the where the spare wheel used to go) anyway, mounted like yours I couldn't even hear it. You could see it moving but it was quiet and DEFINITELY not bassey.

I then installed an air tight box on the underside (the correct volume for the sub) and it was louder than it had ever been.

I doubt there's enough room for a box to be mounted on the underside of your parcel shelf though so I'd just take it out if I was you. You might as well have a well performing sub that takes up room in the boot than one that looks good but doesn't function at all.

hubbly_bubbly

Aug 18, 2008
Thanks for the heads up Chris.

But, i have my sub mounted and playing just fine. It definitely does work and has plenty than enough bass for the size of the Leon cabin. The reason i dont have to put an airtight box under my sub, is the fact that i made sure the backboard is sealing when the boot closes. I.e. the backboard seals against the back of the backseat uprights, along the sides, and against the boot (when shut). Thus creating an "airtight" enclosure, a rather large one. This airtight seal seperates the front of the cone from the back of the speaker (as it is meant to be, and the reason for your first attempt not playing well). My setup is similar to your description of an air tight box except im using the boot as the box making sure its sealed from the rest of the cabin. Thanks for the suggestion though but i wont be taking the sub out as it is working beautifully. The guys at Bang & Olefson know what they are doing when they install sound systems in the Audis, (and other top brands) and on purpose mount the sub on the back shelf of the saloons. The reason is the same, use the boot as the box and play the sound into the cabin.

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
I can see what you're saying. And, yes, I'm sure that it 'works' but if you were to compare it to the same sub, in a box, I'm sure you'd be highly disappointed.

I know what you mean about the boot being the box, but it's WAY too big. eg a 12" sub should have an enclosure of volume 2-3 sq. feet. the boot is what, about 9 perhaps?

and when I say airtight, I mean AIRTIGHT. as in if you were to pump air into the enclosure, none would escape whatsoever. just because the parcel shelf sits snug upto the seats, sides and lid, it does not make it airtight at all.

saying all you've said, you'll probably just ignore this anyway. you are probably satisfied with just having that 'extra sound' coming from the back, whereas I'd always need a fully functioning sub.

it looks like the work you have done has been done well, on the other hand. can I ask why you didn't mount the sub in the centre??? I know from the underside, the sub is on the left, amp on the right, but from the top you've just got a sub that's not in the centre . . . . .

hubbly_bubbly

Aug 18, 2008
Thanks for the interest Chris.

Ill have to email the guys at Bang & Olefson for a technical explaination of the "rear shelf" mounted subwoofer.

The sub is not mounted in the centre to prevent the backboard from resonating with the sub frequencies. If everthing were made symmetric there would be the possibility of the backborad resonating close to its natural frequency. This would shake the backboard and would upset the support of the sub. The more unsymmetric the backboard is the better (the same goes for the support and structure-hence the hole to the side and further back) The quality of the install and sub means the bass is filling the cabin and does not sound like its coming from the one side. As far as the boot being "WAY" to big we can agree to disagree, im happy with the install and until you were able to hear it or sit in an audi with B&O you would agree. But until then you can have small sealed box subwoofers and ill stick to mine ,with my big free boot space and freely available spare wheel ;)

hubbly_bubbly

Aug 18, 2008
I have a spare wheel, but i think i would prefer the pump up kit. I have always thought a car with nice mags driving around on a black steel rim looks terrible. I would rather keep the mags on and repair the dam tire on the car :)

JUS CRU-ZN

BOOST JUNKIE!!
Mar 14, 2008
So...hubbly how does the increased box volume affect the long term function of the sub you are using?
Also from the little i know larger sub enclosures are usually used when a box is ported. Do you think that a suitable port correctly tuned would improve the bass?

Lookin forward to hearing it tho... will be in JHB in April :)

hubbly_bubbly

Aug 18, 2008
heya JC

The fact that im using the boot as the "box" doesnt have a negative effect on the functioning of the sub (as far as i can understand). The large boot volume allows the cone to move backwards (as it is signaled to do so by the amp), easier than if it were in a small enclosure. I think this puts less stress on the sub. Im not sure how a port would work on this system. From what i have experienced i dont really like ported systems. You get a "louder" bass but to me it sounds weaker. I prefer sealed enclosure which to my mind sounds deep and powerful.

Look forward to your visit to Jozi! :funk:

Silver1.6-Sport

Dec 17, 2008
is that the fuse right next to the amp...? id get that moved up about a foot away from the battery mate if there is a power serge it will go through the hole car and not just a foot up the line to the fuse

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
The sub will fly back with no back preasure thus requiring more effort to bring it forward.

this causes a very long delay in reverb making your sub alot less punchy than it should be. If you have a proper sub deisgned for this purpose it wouldnt be so bad but you dont.

I would therefore suggest making a box around the sub and sealing it in, doesnt have to be big boxcould make it the length of your shelf. and get away with about half a foot depth.

Or try your hand at a bit of fibreglass.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise