Help needed with Hybrid K04

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
Hi guys/gals need some honest advice on some work I've had done recently.

Firstly a little background on the car, its an 04 LCR 225 (bam) with peloquin diff, neuspeed ARB's front and back, koni fsd's, eibach springs, 3" blueflame turbo back exhaust with decat and green panel filter.

With the hybrid k04 turbo and remap (different vendor to APR) I've been told the car should be producing at least 300bhp but in all honesty it doesn't feel that much quicker than the old turbo running APR stage 2 (around 270bhp). Car produces around 17psi on spike and holds 17-18 psi to the redline, however if I use WOT over 4000 revs I get a spike of over 25 psi and this then settles back down to 17-18psi at the redline.

What concerns me is that I've only really gained an extra 2psi at high revs and I'm unsure if this would equate to near 300bhp as it feels slightly quicker but not by much and nowhere near enough to justify the 2k+ I spent having the work done.

I'm hoping to do some logs soon to get a more accurate picture of whats going on. I'm guessing the best blocks to log are 118 (boost), 02 (maf). What else should I log?

I'm also not sure if the fuelling is correct as I'm getting an error code of maf signal too high (currently 220g/s) and I get a slight jerk towards the red line. I have the standard 3 bar fpr on at the moment and I was told originally I'd need the 4 bar fpr fitted but when it came to getting the work done I was told the 3 bar should be fine although I've heard it mentioned that a 4 bar is normally required if going over 290bhp.

Generally I'm a bit bummed about the whole thing as I was told originally to expect a spike of up to 25 - 26 psi at 3k rpm and holding 21 - 22 psi to the red line. But after finally getting the work done after waiting nine months (the wait being partly down to me as I was waiting for a exhaust manifold to be available to compliment the turbo, which even now still isn't available) it a fair bit off the quoted product.

Any comments greatly appreciated

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
rather not say who the mapper is at the moment , just want to keep the thread straight forward with honest opinions.

Originally they specified it would need a 4 bar fpr they have since said the 3 bar will do. Just suprised they changed their view on this and wondered what the limit of the 3 bar fpr is

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
johnathon, what psi is your actuator set at. you will need to run an uprated actuator (ideally forge with yellow spring) at a min operating pressure of 11 psi.
i've had all these probs before. APR stage 2 is fine to run the turbo with but adjustments within V tune are necessary. I fitted a 4 bar reg inconjuction with an oversized maff to deal with fueling issues. so far so good and 1.45 bar at red line with an approx BHP of 290-310.
Post up some logs.... maff and actuator duty cycle.

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
actuator is uprated and set to 10psi i believe. I'm running a tailored map for this turbo so that should take the actuator in to account.

I will hopefully do some logs this weekend maf is block 002 IIRC, I can't remember it duty cycle is 118 or 115?

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
actuator is uprated and set to 10psi i believe. I'm running a tailored map for this turbo so that should take the actuator in to account.

I will hopefully do some logs this weekend maf is block 002 IIRC, I can't remember it duty cycle is 118 or 115?

log 118 & 115 mate.
check the psi spring pressure with a hand pump and confirm.
whatever map your running confirm that requested boost is high enough.
If the actuator is set wrong you can pay ubber bucks for a custom map but it still won't deliver the goods.

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
Cool, cheers for that I'll get some logs soon hopefully

I was going to check the spring pressure just by unplugging the N75 causing it to only boost to wastegate pressure. Should be accurate enough I think?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
unplug n75 will show you the static pressure yes, and logging 118 will show you duty cycle on the n75 combined with 115 will show if request and actual are tracking. If its not asking for much boost its the map. if its asking from it but getting what it wants, then looking to actuator and pipework etc is next.

225g/s? that all you seeing?

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
started a new thread with some logs here.

I'll try and do some further logs including actual vs requested.

Carl how does your custom TIP compare to the forge jobby?