Ferodo Ds2500??? Road Legal

GREG_R84

Keep right on
Oct 3, 2007
Tamworth
Iv just been round my local garage, not the stealer to get a price for brembo discs and ferodo ds2500 pads for my LCR. They rang me back and said the discs will cost 210 kwid and the pads 84 kwid. How ever they seen to think that the ds2500 are track pads only and are not legal??? Is this true?

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Yes, it's true.

Edit:
I have posted on this several times before.. searchy will find it.
Yes DS2500's are performance pads, classed as Race on the box.
Reg90 is a bullshit reg from EU, meant to stop poor performing pads from being sold as equivalents to OE spec... which makes sense. What they did was apply a 15% of OE fircition coefficient, but then cocked it up by not just making it within 15% of OE on the negative side, but made it +/-15% of OE. this then makes "BETTER" performing pads outside of reg 90 because they perform better.

functionally they work far better than stock, and this is why so many people want to run them.
If you were concerned about the pad in the event of a serious (fatal) road crash, then I can imagine the scenario of the car being taken to bits to determin the cause. Too good a brake pad would'nt likely be one of them, nor identifying every component on the car against every standard around. the only identifyer on the pads is the printing on the back of the pads, which is only printed on.... and can wear off. :rolleyes: with nothing printed or legible on the pad, determining the make, let alone the model & spec would seem impossible. Crash test investigation would confirm they were "working" and had sufficient pad material.

you can hypothosise as much as you like as to "what if", and would'nt likely ever leave the house as a consequence.

Reality is the pads perform superbly, stop far better than OE, which when Oe fade in hard use, and DS2500's dont, then the DS2500's would be the safer pads to run.

MOT brake testing takes no account of brake materials fitted to the cars, only that they work sufficiently well, which is the important aspect obviously.

(thanks to RikH below for reminding me where this was)

Last edited:

TheMikeh

Aug 13, 2007
From what I hear I believe they are correct, does anyone know the best pads to use which are road legal and not just 'track' pads?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The pads condition are checked in MOT not pad type, should be no problem.

I have them fitted and will be doing track days soon and will let you all know how I get on.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
its a no brainer for me.... id rather be in a slanging match because i survived an accident as opposed to being dead because my pads were poor at stopping.

having previously used these pads they improve the cars braking ability, so my drivings safer. thats more important than anything else.

no idea what pads im using at the moment though

;)

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
To be honest, if they pass an MOT then that effectively means they are road legal, surely?

As Bill said, they're hardly going to penalise you for have brakes that work *too* well.

The place that are fitting mine are also doing the MOT, so assuming they're happy to fit them, I'm sure it'll pass the MOT. :)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Insurance/police can still argue that they are illegal, regardless of ability. It sounds like astupid rule to mebut I'm just saying that's what they'll say.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
They would only test components like brakes after an accident if you failed to stop - this is not something i can see happening with DS2500 unless you actually forgot to push the pedal. I think the EBC were approved for road use, something I find laughable given their performance under 'use'.

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
On the Ferodo website, for the DS3000 pads it has this:

"WARNING: DS3000 IS NOT SUITABLE FOR NORMAL ON-ROAD USE."

However, it doesn't have the same warning for the DS2500.

I've also read on other forums that, for example, the Prodrive Impreza is supplied as standard, on the road, with DS2500 pads.

Is there a list of Regulation 90 pads somewhere?

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I thought the point of the DS2500 is that they *don't* need lots of heat, their friction coefficient stays constant over the operating temperature range.

They don't need a lot of heat, they're certainly better than EBC redstuff from cold, better than them when hot and under abuse they're leagues ahead.

The point i'm trying to make is that whilst they're pretty good from cold, once you get some heat in them they're amazing and they just keep on getting better.

I haven't warped the discs i got fitted with these pads, the EBC discs and Redstuff pads by comparison warped within 50 miles of being bedded in. I replaced discs 3 times before moving to the current set up.

In short 90 reg approved or not, on the LC Tdi the EBC redstuff pad and any disc combination i've tried are nothing short of dangerous if you're doing anything other than normal braking.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.