The Law on seats / seatbelts

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
I've recently taken the rear seats out of my ibiza, but I was wondering that if I did have passengers in the back with my seats still out, but they're wearing the seatbelts, would this be against the law??? :confused:

Gordz

May 31, 2007
North East
em yes i would think so. i could be wrong but i really don't think it would be legal.

see I googled about what the law was about seatbelts etc. and all it says is that everyone has to wear their seatbelts were fitted, couldn't find a law anywer which states about there has to be physical spongy seats there... but i suppose it's not the written law it's more what the police would think/say if pulled me over!

kirsti.c

mk3 ibiza tdi
Apr 1, 2008
Maryburgh by Dingwall
well there is no support really for the passengers if there are no seats, so even if they were wearing there seatbelts and there happened to be an accident they wouldn't be supported or like held in place like they would be by the seat. that's just my opinion though. if it isn't against the law i'm sure the police would find something to do you for, that's normally the case here anyway.

Gordz

May 31, 2007
North East
well there is no support really for the passengers if there are no seats, so even if they were wearing there seatbelts and there happened to be an accident they wouldn't be supported or like held in place like they would be by the seat. that's just my opinion though. if it isn't against the law i'm sure the police would find something to do you for, that's normally the case here anyway.

yeah, i know it'd be really unsafe, but that's all was wondering, whether if was pulled over i'd just get a telling off or a big fat fine or points or something.

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
but if you have no seats then that automatically means noone is allowed to sit there. Its the same with the buses which one have 2 front seats and the rest is storage room: noone is allowed to be in there whilst the vehicle is moving.
When you pulled out the seats to you car, you made it a 2 people carrying vehicle maximum!

thats what the police will tell you whilst they are writing your fat ticket

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
isn't there something in MOT about secure seat mounting but then if it's missing it can't be insecure

to be honest even if it wasn't it's not adviseable as a 15st 6ft lump of carbon flying about at 30-70mph is gonna do damage to itself and others if not securely seated

Gordz

May 31, 2007
North East
Yeah I'd never want to do it because it's really unsafe, but was just curious that's all!

Had a word with ex police guy who comes in to the pub I work at and he said it's definitly 100% illegal and basically said what you said Reuvers